Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » should i use ec?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: should i use ec?
missmeliss
Neophyte
Member # 94950

Icon 11 posted      Profile for missmeliss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So im taking levora and i consistantly take the pills at 7:30 every morning. Ive been very busy these past few days and i missed a pill in the last 3-4 days. Im not sure when i missed it but when i took my pill this morning i noticed i was a day off so i took two today. I know i took a pill yesterday...i only have two pills left in this pack so what should i do? My boyfriend and i usually use two forms of contraception, but being on the pill, i might not have been as careful with the condoms as i could have been(i.e.getting precum on my hands and then touching the condom to put it on and not being careful about air in the tip). Last night was the first time we had sex since i missed the pill. Should i use the method of ec where i take 4 pills and then another 4 pills?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missmeliss
Neophyte
Member # 94950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missmeliss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just to clarify, i did read that "pregnancy scare?" article and from what i gathered, you cant get pregnant if the semen touches something else, dries, and then comes into contact with your vulva. My reason for concern is that my hands were still wet when i went to put on the condom and it was dark so i was kind of fumbling around and i didnt bother to check if the condom was fully intact after :/

[ 02-18-2012, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: missmeliss ]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The birth control pill is 99% effective with perfect use, 92% effective with typical use, which is what you're describing.

Precum may or may not have sperm on it, just depending. But it's not just whether it dries or not. Basically the precum on your hands and then on the condom means that the sperm (if there are any in it) have already been exposed to air, don't have fluid, and therefore aren't able to move.

If it would make you feel more comfortable to go get emergency contraception then by all means do that, but I'm not hearing any risk that is beyond the small amount of risk there always is if one has sexual intercourse, even while using birth control.

In other words, unless your condom broke (and you would know if it did), I see no reason for you to be concerned.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missmeliss
Neophyte
Member # 94950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missmeliss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much! I think im going to just finish this pack and take the placebo pills(i usually only take them every three packs). I heard that if you miss a pill you might skip a period. Is this very common?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say you only take the placebo pills every three packs are you meaning that you go right through without taking a week off/taking the placebo pills? If that is the case then you're already skipping your withdrawal bleed (which is what we call the bleeding while someone is on the pill), right? I'm having a little trouble understanding what you mean, but no, there shouldn't be any change to your withdrawal bleed just from missing one pill. The withdrawal bleed happens when you stop taking the hormones because your body then has a chance to shed any uterine lining it's built up throughoutthe time of taking the pills.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missmeliss
Neophyte
Member # 94950

I usually skip my withdrawal bleed until ive taken three packs. What i am saying is that i want to start my withdrawal bleed early(after only one pack) and im wondering if it my period may be delayed because of this change
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I don't imagine so. You may find that it is different, but regardless of what happens with the bleeding you can just start your next pack once the placebo pills are done.

--------------------
Robin

missmeliss
Neophyte
Member # 94950

Thank you

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.