Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Worried a little...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worried a little...
degrassifan18
Neophyte
Member # 47946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for degrassifan18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not had sex this month, and I got my period last month. I feel like I have a few pms symptoms, but still no period (and I took my 3/7 white pill last night). Should I be worried? I know that this doesn't look like/probably isn't a risk at all. But I've been hearing more and more about women who get their periods while pregnant (or as my one friend put it, you can get your period once and then still be pregnant?). Its stressing me out to no end. I always thought getting your period meant not being pregnant. So can you at least clarify what all that talk is about? Is it just women getting slight spotting and counting that as a period? Or is there really some way that a woman can get a regular 5-day flow and still be pregnant?

Thanks!

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying that you took the third of your placebo pills last night and your withdrawal bleed (what we call the bleeding when someone is on the pill) hasn't started? This in itself isn't unusual even if it is unusual for you.

Yes, there are a few women who have experienced bleeding that feels like their normal menstrual cycle while pregnant. However, that is still the exception, not the norm, and the prevailing wisdom still is that if you get your period, you're more than likely not pregnant.

There are also other factors. You've already said you take the pill. Do you take it at or around the same time every day? Do you and your partner back up with any other birth control methods?

Of course, you could always take a pregnancy test just to be sure. I know the prospect is a little scary, but there's nothing like truth to dispel fears. [Smile]

You can also take a look at this link to assess your risk:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/006958.html

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you are on the pill and have been taking it as directed? How long have you been on the pill?

It is not possible to have a period and still be pregnant. When you have your period, the body flushes out an unfertilized egg and the uterine lining that had built up in preparation for a pregnancy. So that means that the egg did not get fertilized and that it did not implant in the uterine lining. So, no pregnancy.

Some women do sometimes experience unexplained vaginal bleeding during a pregnancy, but that does not usually resemble a period. It would be a pretty big coincidence for bleeding like that to show up exactly when you are due for your period, to look like your periods tend to, and to last for the amount your periods usually last. Which means that, when you experience bleeding around the time your period is due, and it looks and acts like your periods tend to, then it is very, very likely that you are having your period.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
degrassifan18
Neophyte
Member # 47946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for degrassifan18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on the pill for almost 2 years now, and I have an alarm set so I take it at the same time every day. I did not have sex at all this month, and when I last did (early January) we used a condom (I was kind of drunk though, and I only assumed the condom hadn't been in his pocket for the night, I'm quite confident there wasn't a breakage though). However I got my period and I figured everything was good.
So pretty much I should assume that I'm ok then? I just hate googling and finding all these little anecdotes saying that everyone and their grandmother experienced bleeding while pregnant!
But thanks for your help! [Smile] Do you guys have an article anywhere explaining the whole "period while pregnant" thing? I know you took a survey involving that a while ago but I never saw an article.

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have been taking your pill as directed and have not missed any pills, then you do not need to be concerned anyway. WHen taken correctly, the pill is very effective at preventing pregnancy.

So, I do not see a reason for you to be worried.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no reason to assume that you're pregnant, given that you've had your withdrawal bleed since the last time you had sex, and that you used two forms of birth control then. perfect use of the birth control pill has been shown to be 99% effective in preventing pregnancy.

Again, if you feel unsure, a pregnancy test is always your best bet.

I don't think we have any articles on this yet, but I'll check with folks. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.