Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Should i take plan b?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should i take plan b?
pixeltd
Neophyte
Member # 23469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeltd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok full details:

Im in a relationship, we've both been tested so stds are not a risk.

I just started the birth control pill last week, (Monday january 30) its the minipill. I have been taking them within an hour of one another regularly, except for 3a days ago I took one pill 5 hours late.

Since starting bc, we've been having sex without a condom to start, then putting on a condom before the finish for a little extra peace of mind.

Last night he accidentally came inside of me before we could get the condom.

Are my pill habits regular enough? Or do you think it'd be wise to get plan b just in case.

Posts: 8 | From: chicago IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you have only been using the pill for one week, and did take one late in that very precarious stating-cycle-time, I'd say it's probably soundest to figure that you may not have been protected by your pill.

For future reference, you might also need to know that putting condoms on once intercourse has already begun also isn't proper use, so you have to figure when you do that, even without a full ejaculation, you won't have the highest effectiveness of condoms, either.

If you do not wish to become pregnant, this is an instance where I'd suggest Plan B.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It takes at least a week until the pill becomes fully effective. To boot, you are on the mini-pill, where you really need to take it at the same time every day in order to ensure effectiveness.

So, it sounds like you've had a potentially high risk of pregnancy.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeltd
Neophyte
Member # 23469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeltd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? The booklet that came with my pill said it is effective in 48 hours (and same for if you miss a pill -for use backup for 48a hours).
Posts: 8 | From: chicago IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
48 hours? I don't know of any pill that claims full efficacy that soon with first starting. Mind telling me which pill so we can look at the patient information?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeltd
Neophyte
Member # 23469

Its the generic form of Micronor
Heather
Member # 3

Taking a look now.

But just FYI, most sexual health clinics and prescribers advise, with the mini-pill (mostly because it doesn't suppress ovulation like the combined pill, which is why it is less effective in perfect use) backing up for anywhere from the first full cycle to THREE full cycles.

But I'll ping back once I've checked that specific patient info for you. All the same, since time is of the essence with Plan B, I would advise using it if you do not want to take what I'd say (especially if you didn't start your pills on the first day of your period, AND since you took one late in that first week) is a potentially substantial pregnancy risk.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pixeltd
Neophyte
Member # 23469

http://www.medicinenet.com/norethindrone-oral_contraceptive/page2.htm

Found this, which is essentially what it says in my booklet.

I do think im going to take the plan b. Its only been 10 hours since the incident, so I will be taking it sometime in the next 4 hours

Heather
Member # 3

So, I'm looking at the leaflet for Micronor itself, and I'm not seeing anything about claims of full efficacy within 48 hours on it at all. I'm also seeing text which clearly says that when first starting, missing any pills or taking any late within the first five days of your pack is a big no-no.

The only reference I'm seeing to 48 hours is about late or missed pills and a backup.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

I was looking at a different version of that, but I don't see any info on that page at all about starting the pills or efficacy when starting the pills (just went through it twice to make sure I hadn't missed it).

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

So, just to be clear, based on contraceptive training I've had over the years, and info from other clinics and providers, moving forward, I'd advise backing up your minipills with another method -- used properly, so if it's condoms, condoms the whole time, not some of the time -- for at least the rest of this cycle, and of course, making sure you do work hard to take them in the three-hour-window they need to be taken.

I know that can be tough, but alas, it's how those pills need to be used to be fully effective.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

pixeltd
Neophyte
Member # 23469

Thanks for the info.

I think the line that got me was at the bottom. "Start on first day of period. If you start on any other day, use backup for 2 days"

Heather
Member # 3

Yeah, didn't see that there (though did see a line that said to refer to the patient leaflet, which that text, then, obviously isn't), but that does conflict with everything I have ever learned and been taught about the minipill. By all means, I and other sources could be mistaken, or this may have changed, but none of the contraception journals or resources I've read have reported that change, so I'm inclined to be wary or be concerned about a misread or misprint.

In general, I tend to think it's best to err on the side of caution with any of this, especially if and when pregnancy is not wanted.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.