Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Could I be pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I be pregnant?
just.like.a.star
Neophyte
Member # 79260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just.like.a.star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know. I have the same question as everyone else.
My period is currently four days late and I took a home pregnancy test on the day of my missed period. It was negative. Earlier in the month my boyfriend and I ended up resorting to the withdrawal method (which neither of us are particularly fond of despite enjoying the sensation of skin on skin) because we got caught up in the heat of the moment and we didn't have a condom. We've done this a few times and we're both aware that we shouldn't because we're playing with fire. I had been on the pill, but the last two months I haven't taken it because I completely lost track of it in December during finals and I planned to restart the next cycle, but I was unable to get to the pharmacy to pick it up until what would've been a week into the cycle.
I wanted to know if the pills could be the reason my period is missing or if there's still a chance that I could be pregnant. I plan on taking another test tomorrow, because I know they reccomment retesting, but I figured a post asking for a sexpert opinion couldn't hurt.

Posts: 8 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be clear, are you taking the birth control pill now? When did you start? Are you currently on your placebo or break week?

Here is some information about the withdrawal method that I think you'll find helpful.

Withdrawal

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just.like.a.star
Neophyte
Member # 79260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just.like.a.star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not currently taking the pill. I was going to start again after I got my period, but I haven't gotten it.
Posts: 8 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods can be a little irregular for a couple of months after stopping the Pill.

Your best bet at this point is to take another pregnancy test.

Pregnancy Scared?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just.like.a.star
Neophyte
Member # 79260

So I took another test and it's still negative.
So at this point I should just wait it out?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You mentioned that you recently stopped taking the Pill (though you're planning to start again) and that can throw cycles off. What were your cycles like before you started taking the Pill? With two negative pregnancy tests and a period only 5 days late, I'd say yes: just wait it out.

If you're concerned and would like verification you couldgo to your doctor or a clinic.

--------------------
Robin

just.like.a.star
Neophyte
Member # 79260

Before I started the pill I think my cycles were pretty regular and usually about 29 days. I don't really remember though, as I went on the pill when I was fifteen. So more than half the time I've been mensturating I've been on the pill and I've also been on it longer than I've been sexually active.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.