Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Threw up pill, pregnancy chance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Threw up pill, pregnancy chance?
shelbbyx
Neophyte
Member # 94185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelbbyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I've been on the pill for almost four years now. On December 31st, I took my pill then had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. He did not ejaculate inside me though. We always use condoms except this night we didn't :/ stupid, I know. An hour after taking my pill I threw it up. I did not take a replacement pill and I'm nervous that I could have ovulated because I'm not sure if enough of my pill could have been absorbed in an hour. I've taken all of my pills perfectly except for that one. I started my "withdrawal bleeding" on January 12 when I was supposed to, but took a pregnancy test on January 17 just to be sure everything was fine (it came back negative). However, I'm not sure if I took the test too soon and I could still be pregnant? I'm really scared because I've read online where women who got pregnant while on the pill still continued to have their withdrawal bleeding. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

[ 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: shelbbyx ]

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this sounds a little gross but:

When you threw up, did you see the pill in there? It's pretty likely that most of the pill had already been absorbed by the time an hour had passed. Plus, what matters most is consistent taking of the pill. NO, you shouldn't miss one, but missing one doesn't make you completely without protection though it does increase risk.

You had a withdrawal bleed and a negative pregnancy test. Plus, as I say, you likely absorbed a good bit of, if not all of, the pill by the time you threw up.

And yes, form the 30th to the 17th should be enough time. It's more than two weeks, and approximately two weeks from time of risk is what we recommend for taking a home pregnancy test.

Make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shelbbyx
Neophyte
Member # 94185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelbbyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for your reply! No I didn't see the pill. I just read on different websites that it takes 3-4 hours to absorb so that kind of worried me. I'm sure I don't have anything to worry about now!
Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You had a withdrawal bleed and a negative pregnancy test. You should be good to go! [Smile]

Probably the best way to find out about pill absorption would be to talk to a doctor or pharmacist.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.