Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Coughing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Coughing
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jc212         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this is a little gross, Im just not sure what I should do in a situation like this. Ive been sick for a week or see, coughing and coughing up mucus and such and I just took by bc pill 30 minutes ago and I just had a really bad cough and had to spit up mucus. I dont know if this means I should take another pill or if my pills in the past would be affected by my coughing up mucus this week???
Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mucus has nothing to do with your digestive tract, so absorption of the pill isn't affected by this.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Thank you! I was just a bit worried because sometimes in the past week, I coughed up mucus shortly after I took my pill, maybe 5-10 minutes or so and I was just iffy about if I coughed up my pill.
Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Is that possible to cough up a pill after swallowing it?? I talked to a pharmacist and she said as long as I didnt throw up or anything I should be fine... Im just kinda worried because I might have had a possible pregnancy risk and Im relying solely on BC
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coughing doesn't affect your digestive system, so you really don't need to worry. If you had thrown up, that would be a different story, but your pill's effectiveness wasn't compromised this way.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

no chance that I somehow coughed up the pill in the mucus huh? >< sorry if this is so gross. trying not to be all paranoid
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There really isn't, no. Half an hour after you'd taken it, your pill would be in your stomach and mostly digested already.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

what about 5-10 minutes after >< because I had a pretty bad cough

Sorry for all the questions, i dont mean to be difficult!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Again, as long as you didn't throw up, you're fine.

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help. Its always hard for me to figure out when I have a legitimate reason to worry even on birth control pills.

If you're not busy at the moment, would it be all right to talk through this? ><

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're so welcome.

Unfortunately, I'm about to head out for a few hours, but I'll leave a note with the other staff and volunteers and hopefully someone will be able to talk with you. If that doesn't happen, I'm more than happy to keep talking about this when I get back.

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Thats great, thank you! Im more than willing to wait [Smile] I understand you're all very busy!
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you with this, jc212. I'll check in again tomorrow and hopefully we can talk then.

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Oh no its fine, please don't apologize. I totally get that you're all volunteers and busy! Im just grateful that you're being so kind in talking to me about my situation!!
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Sorry we keep missing each other! I'll be around for the next few hours if you want to talk about this.

One thing I'm hearing, based on this post and your past ones, is that you seem to be having a lot of trouble trusting that your pills are working correctly. Does that sound right?

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Ok thank you! [Smile]

Yes, its hard for me to trust something I can't actually see working. I take my pills daily though, I make sure of that and within a 30 minute time range too. I havent missed one or taken any late and from what my doctor has told me I should be perfectly fine with the way I've been taking them. I guess I have a problem that when something happens, I can't determine whether or not its a cause to worry. I always need someones opinion.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Trusting an "invisible" method is something a lot of people have trouble with. I'm sorry if you've mentioned it before, but do you use a second method as well (like condoms)? That's something that tends to be helpful.

Another thing you might think about is whether another type of hormonal birth control might be something you're a bit more comfortable with. Something like the Nuva Ring, for example, which doesn't require you to take a pill every day, and therefore leaves less room for error, might help with your anxiety around things possibly going wrong.

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

We've always used two methods, in the past condoms and withdrawal at the same time and then birth control with condoms and when I got a bit more relaxed, withdrawal and birth control.

I honestly feel better off with the bc pill, I know that may sound super weird considering my freaking out at the moment lol. Its just I like being in charge of taking my pill daily and such. I guess my worries come from the stuff that I cant really control...like even with my taking the pill there might be stuff that goes wrong or with any hormonal method. I hope that makes sense. Im horrible at explaining stuff >< Theres always stories going around about how girls take their pills every day but still get pregnant. I think I read stuff on the internet too that adds to my fears.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Do you think going back to using condoms for the time being might help?

I get what you're saying about being more comfortable with the pill than another method, and that's totally fine, just thought I'd throw out a couple of ideas. One thing I think would definitely help is stepping away from the internet as far as looking for info on this: there is a LOT of misinformation out there, and so many stories about people taking their pills "correctly" and getting pregnant. The reality is, the majority of the time women become pregnant on any kind of hormonal birth control, it's because they haven't been using it correctly.

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Yeah, I think it might. Im going to bring that up with my boyfriend. [Smile]

I think I ran across those stories when I was trying to research what would make my birth control fail and geez, its like everything under the sun would make my birth control fail according to some people =.=" I think the things to watch out for(If I got this right) when taking bc, would be antibiotics, certain types of medicine which differ according to the brand of the pill, supplements unless discussed with a doctor and taking pills late or missing them and backing up with a second method when one vomited or had diarrhea? Aside from all of that, then the pill should be working?

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Yeah, I think it might. Im going to bring that up with my boyfriend. [Smile]

I think I ran across those stories when I was trying to research what would make my birth control fail and geez, its like everything under the sun would make my birth control fail according to some people =.=" I think the things to watch out for(If I got this right) when taking bc, would be antibiotics, certain types of medicine which differ according to the brand of the pill, supplements unless discussed with a doctor and taking pills late or missing them and backing up with a second method when one vomited or had diarrhea? Aside from all of that, then the pill should be working?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Yep, you've got it right. [Smile] Honestly, it sounds like you're a very, very good pill user, so I'd say unless you're ever on antibiotics or another medication that may interfere with your pill, you can trust that it's working.

(And yes, if you look hard enough you can find someone on the internet saying that just about anything will make the pill fail. Just like you can find someone saying that pretty much anything is a pregnancy symptom. If you want reliable information on that, talk to your doctor or pharmacist, or check with the information insert that comes with your pill.)

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Thanks [Smile] I suppose it'll take some time for me to completely get rid of all this anxiety but until then I think I'll try and stick with condoms and bc.

I was talking to another pharmacist about the coughing situation and the possibility of coughing up the pill in phlegm 5-10 minutes after taking it when I was there to refill my prescription and this lady said something different from the other pharmacist. Its all so confusing. She seemed pretty unsure if I could have or not but she said that the pill should have gone through to the stomach while the phlegm comes from the lungs and as long as I didnt see the pill then I should be fine. At the time, I wasnt exactly examining whatever I did spit out ><" Logically, I feel like I dont need to worry. It seems unreasonable that something I swallowed five minutes ago would come up again because of coughing. The lady I talked to consulted with another pharmacist and that pharmacist who was a guy thought it was a ridiculous situation saying that it wasnt possible. Gah. So confusing lol

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

I'm sorry the other pharmacist's response made you worry again! Really though, I don't see a reason to be concerned, your initial pharmacist's assessment was that you don't need to be concerned: I'd say you're just fine. And your plan to go back to using condoms with your BC sounds like a good one. [Smile]

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Thanks so much for talking me through this one ^_^ I feel tons better and know what I need to do to lessen my anxiety in the future.

Just a question about the pill, to clarify, the placebo pills are an option right? they have no hormones in them so taking them isnt necessary as long as I have just a 7 day break between the active pills?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the placebo pills are just placeholders to keep you in the habit of taking pills daily. They contain no hormones, and not taking them will not compromise your protection.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Here again ><"

I was wondering, if I did miss any pills on the off chance that I coughed it up, however unlikely, would I have gotten my withdrawal bleed the day I expect it? I got my withdrawal bleed on the day I always do, lasted the same length of time, felt the same way. I started a new pack on time and I wanted to be sure I can count on the full protection of it. Just wondering if missing any pills would make my withdrawal bleed any different, my way of knowing if I did miss any or not, ><" so sorry

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're really just psyching yourself out here. If you'd coughed a pill up, you would know because it would mean that you hadn't swallowed the pill - you had inhaled it. There's two different tracks, and they cannot be open at the same time, there's a flap that prevents it. So when you swallow something your windpipe is covered. When you breathe, your esophagus is covered. It's why if you happen to breath in and something gets into your windpipe (a drink or food or any other foreign object) you begin coughing immediately to expel that object.

So you can be totally 100% sure you did not cough up the pill, that it went to your stomach not your windpipe - as you'd remember coughing it back up (choking on it). So no reason to worry about effectiveness at all.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

So coughing and spitting up mucus isnt the same as vomiting? The mucus couldnt somehow contain the pill?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

No, it couldn't. Coughing, and spitting up mucus as a result of that, means that something has come from your lungs. Vomiting comes through your esophagus, which is linked to your stomach and digestive tract. They're two separate systems.

--------------------

jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Honestly I agree with everything you're saying. I think its pretty iffy to spit up my pill in mucus but the pharmacists I consult all seem so unsure, well not really unsure but more like "as long as you didnt see it" Thing is, I didnt exactly investigate if my pill was in there. What worries me is that the things they were saying weren't as black and white and straightforward as the things you're saying here and what I was thinking. I apologize, I really dont mean to be difficult regarding this situation.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes things make us nervous - and it's understandable. I do promise though whatever reaction you got from them it's two different body systems. I can even promise I taught about them both in my health class last year. [Smile]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

Hahaha thank you [Smile] that made me giggle. I think pharmacists just totally speak in a different language, lol saying stuff like "its highly unlikely" goodness, a simple yes or no would really work too haha. So Im basically scaring myself over here then =.=" I think they just like to be overly cautious and then that scares me because Im running around thinking "oh my goodness did I not see the pill if I did spit it up??" or "what if I just didnt feel it coming up??" Ach. Im reading what you're all saying though and it seems as if it IS pretty unlikely to impossible that I somehow spit up my pill in phlegm after taking it. Even I know that phlegm comes from the lungs ><"
jc212
Activist
Member # 65513

I was looking up the things you told me and it said that the food I swallow goes down the esophagus; so thats where my pill went while my phlegm from the lungs comes from the trachea. You're right, they are two different systems. They dont ever meet right?? So if thats true then theres no way that my pill could have come up by simply coughing or it could have somehow got caught up in the phlegm??

Im trying to make sense of all of this haha

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Hon, I really really don't know any other way we can explain it (and really it's just beginning to be like a merry-go-round with answering this, in how it goes around and around but never really goes anywhere else). So at this point, I think it's not going to help either of us to continue giving the same information.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.