Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pill with antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill with antibiotics
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently on Microgynon 30 and have taken it at the right time for the last month.I am currently on my pill free week (2nd day of the pill free week) and have been taken antibiotics (ofloxacin tablets) for the last 5 days(just to be clear out of those 5 days,I was on the pill for 3 days and i started my pill free week on the 4th and 5th day ie today).I had sex with my boyfriend today wherein he used a condom and did not ejaculate inside me.Is there a pregnancy risk as I was on antibiotics? Certain research seems to show that ofloxacin tablets have no effect on the pill but I just want to be sure.
Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi nayit, even with the antibiotics that lower the effectiveness it is not actually lowered that much. Condoms plus birth control are going to be highly effective (99.99% effective with perfect use - 98.8% effective with typical use) so your risk is very very small here. Even condoms alone are 98% effective with perfect use.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply,however I just want to clarify that even if I did have sex while on my pill free week and we did use a condom perfectly wherein my boyfriend did not ejaculate inside me at all then despite being on anti-biotics,would that mean that pregnancy risk is at the very minimum? also when can I expect my period during the pill free week as this is my 3rd day and there's no sign of a period.I'm sincerely sorry for the naive questions but I would just like some advice and help in this matter
Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your risk is very low. If you don't get your period in another couple of days, you can always take a pregnancy test to be sure, though.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

I did get a proper period in those 7 pill free days and I've even started on my new pack of pills.Does that mean I am not pregnant by any means?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you got your period you are not pregnant.

[ 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.