Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Should I get emergency contraception?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I get emergency contraception?
sands02
Neophyte
Member # 70425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sands02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 22 years old and recently started having sex with my new boyfriend. I just started my first pack of Ortho Tri Cyclen 15 or 16 days ago, and I started right in the middle of my cycle rather than doing the Sunday start method (I just finished up my period a day or two ago). I haven't missed any pills for this pack, though I have taken a couple of them a few hours late (I think it was about 2 hours late and 4 hours late, respectively. I've been on and off bc pills for a few years though I haven't been sexually active in a long time, and am trying hard to get back into the habit of taking them at the same time). Anyway, my boyfriend and I have been using condoms as a backup method each time we've had sex, but last night I noticed that the condom we used had split at the tip. My boyfriend didn't orgasm while we were having sex, but even then I'm concerned that I am at a higher risk of pregnancy because I started the pack during the middle of my cycle and haven't yet completed all of my active pills (not to mention the 2 late pills...). So my question is this - would it be appropriate for me to go to the pharmacy and get the morning after pill? Am I really at an increased risk of pregnancy, or am I being paranoid? I know that the replis on this forum may take a while, so i plan to purchase the pill but I might hold off on taking it until later in the day. I'd ask my friends for advice, but I don't think they'd have the same level of expertise as people on this site might. Thanks a lot for your time.

[ 07-03-2011, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: sands02 ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your risk sounds pretty minimal here, but because you did not do a Sunday start with your pills it's a full month for full protection. It certainly won't hurt to take Emergency Contraception.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sands02
Neophyte
Member # 70425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sands02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks again for your response. If I were to take the emergency contraception, do you know if I would be able to continue taking my regular birth control pills as like I normally would afterward, or would that routine have to change?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, continue to take your pills as normal, trying to keep at the same time each day.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.