Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » scared, when can i take a test!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: scared, when can i take a test!?
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had sex and he withdrew on the second to last day of my period, May 9. I have no idea when and if i ovulated. it's been 17 days since then, but even though my period's not due until next week, i'm having weird "symptoms". you know, headache, tiredness, flulike symptoms, typical for a neurotic pregnancy scare, of course. when can i take a pregnancy test and DEFINITELY get an accurate result? do i need to wait until next week, or since it's been well over two weeks since the sex will testing now be accurate?
Posts: 23 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to be most likely to get an accurate result, you'll want to wait until your period is actually late. You may get an accurate result now, it's just more likely if you hang on another week.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was there a significant risk, do you think?
Posts: 23 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With perfect use (withdrawing well ahead of time and not ejaculating on or near the vulva), withdrawal is about 96% effective. With typical use, the rate drops to 73-82%.

When this pregnancy scare is cleared up, would you like to come back and talk to us about finding a method of birth control that is more reliable than withdrawal? We can help you find something that works for you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

i literally have a prescription for orthrotricyclen that i'm supposed to start once i get my period, but now this happened and i'm just all paranoid and scared. ugh... [Frown]
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. Then in the meantime you'll just want to try and relax a little and wait it out until you can take a test. There's nothing else you can do for now, and you've already taken all the steps to take charge and be protected from now on.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

so should i wait until like this coming thursday/friday (june 2/3) to take a test, as that would be when my period is due? this will be already a good three and a half weeks since the sex though, so if i am pregnant, wouldn't a test be positive by now? (it'll be three weeks since the sex on monday).
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, it's very likely a test by now would be accurate, it's just more likely it will be once your period is late.

One middle ground for that, though, is buying one of those boxes with two tests in it. That way, you could test now. If it's negative, figure you probably are not pregnant. In the event your period is late, you could test again a few days after that to verify you are indeed not pregnant.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

okay, i took a test today. my period should, ideally, have come today or tomorrow. the test was negative. it's been 24 days since the sex. is it safe to say i'm in the clear? i'm already anticipating my period to be late, i'm under far too much stress what with this and a few other things (i.e. moving to a new apartment, starting a new job) that i'd honestly be stunned if it comes tomorrow. basically, at this point, how likely is it that i'm pregnant?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the test was negative you can be fairly sure you're not pregnant. As Heather said, you can wait and see if it comes, and should it be missed just take a second test a few days after to confirm you're not.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

so, worst case scenario, if there was any sperm inside me, and it lived for a full seven days, and i ovulated on that seventh day, it would have been 17 days past ovulation yesterday. it is very likely that an "early predictor" pregnancy test (i used First Response yesterday) would be pretty accurate at predicting a pregnancy, as the box stated that 96% of women will test positive if they are pregnant after 14 days past ovulation. i followed the directions on the test as best as i could, urinated for five seconds, putting the cap back on immediately, laying it on a flat surface, and waiting for 3 minutes before even touching it again. the only "symptoms" (if you can call it that) i'm having are some uncomfortable nausea, which thinking about it logically, is likely due to being so anxious about this. i'm not vomiting, having weird food cravings or aversions. things don't taste/smell differently. my boobs aren't sore at all and haven't gotten bigger/look any difference. please, is it likely that my test wasn't accurate? i know i tested the day before i expected my period, but it was at the very most between 25 and 17 days past ovulation!
Heather
Member # 3

If you don't chart your fertility daily, please know it's just not sound to try and guess at when you ovulated. So, I don't see any reason to talk about ovulation dates when we've no idea if they're correct.

While it'd be too early for pregnancy symptoms like you're looking for, it sounds likely to me your test WAS accurate.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

i'm sorry. i'm just reading horror stories about women getting nothing but negative pregnancy tests and still ending up being pregnant. is there anything i should look for?
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stop reading those stories. Seriously. No more. Turn the computer off if you have to. Because they aren't doing any good.

Trust that the people who design pregnancy tests WANT them to work, and they do work. They work remarkably well, in fact.

If you cannot get over this anxiety you may want to think about whether you really want to be sexually active in this way right now. Is this level of anxiety worth having penis in vagina intercourse?

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

I can promise you, i have a prescription for the pill that i'm starting the day i get my period, if, god willing, it ever comes. and i'm going to tell this guy off, it's genuinely not worth it. i really just want to put this behind me, and i want the anxiety to be over. but even with the one negative test, i'm still so anxious.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.