Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Breakthrough bleeding...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breakthrough bleeding...
degrassifan18
Neophyte
Member # 47946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for degrassifan18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My problem: I've been on Yaz 24/4 for a little over a year now - it has been a great pill, very little complaints from me. However I recently got breakthrough bleeding that lasted for over a week (it wasn't a heavy flow, but blood was always there - really annoying!). My boyfriend and I always use condoms anyway, but I have two questions for you guys:

1. Does breakthrough bleeding like that mean I am not protected? I asked two doctors and neither said this, but I'm extra-careful with this kind of thing so I just wanted to be sure. My GP said that its normal... but I'm not exactly sure what she meant by normal.

2. My withdrawal bleed should be coming within the next week. Should I be expecting it? Should I count a really light withdrawal bleed as a period? Or should I be concerned if nothing shows up at all? I feel like at this rate there won't really be anything showing up.

Thank you so much for any help that you can provide!

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breakthrough bleeding can happen on occasion for women who are taking hormonal birth control. That doesn't mean that your pill isn't working. If you continue to take it as directed, it will continue to protect you from pregnancy.

How this breakthrough bleeding will affect your next withdrawal bleed is impossible to predict. You'll just have to wait and see.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
degrassifan18
Neophyte
Member # 47946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for degrassifan18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much! I have been taking my pill at the same time every day. I have another quick question though - when I noticed the withdrawal bleeding I had been on a fairly intense exercise regimen and I also stuck to a very healthy eating plan. Am I right to assume that those two factors had an effect?

I would love to continue my new healthier eating/exercise plan without this annoying breakthrough bleeding [Frown]

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A drastic change in diet and exercise can have an effect on your withdrawal bleed, or possibly cause breakthrough bleeding.

Have you spoken to a doctor or nutritionist about your new diet and exercise plan? If you're sure that it's totally healthy for you and your body, then there is no harm in sticking to it and you'll adjust in time. But just to be safe, you'll want to make sure that you are getting all the nutrients you need and aren't over-exerting yourself.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
degrassifan18
Neophyte
Member # 47946

I haven't checked with a doctor about it, but I'm 99% sure that Im fine - I basically went from zero exercise and junk food to eating well and actually exercising [Smile]

And good to know that it could have been a contributing factor!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Anything that causes stress on the body can cause spotting/breakthrough bleeding. And really big changes in diet and exercise can definitely stress the body, even if they're changes for the better.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.