Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnancy ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy ?
vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

Icon 4 posted      Profile for vivi1324     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had sex today and we used a condom im pretty sure the condom didnt break cause i put water in it afterwards to check n he didnt come could i be pregnant cause theyre are some weird cases
Posts: 60 | From: us | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When condoms fail, it is because a) they were not worn for all genital contact, from start to finish b) the broke and/or c)they slipped off.

Those are the only ways condoms fail: I don't know of any "weird cases" documented where none of that happened, which is unsurprising, because if none of that happened, there is no way for sperm to get into the vagina, which is needed to create a pregnancy.

Was your condom used the whole time? Did it stay on without breaking or slipping off the whole time? If so, you can be sure that in this instance, it did not fail.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vivi1324     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what if the condom slipped off but not touching the gentail at all ? sorry im asking so much im really worried
Posts: 60 | From: us | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay to ask, no worries.

So, the condom slipped off when you were not actually having genital contact with the other person?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vivi1324     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
like it was kinda between the legs but close to the opening but the opening of the condom wasnt touching me ?
Heather
Member # 3

Then nope, doesn't sound like you're describing a risk here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

thank you that helps alot [Smile]
vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

Im sorry but i have another question if he ha peed like 5 times since last ejaculation can the precum still get me pregnant ?
Heather
Member # 3

This would not matter if, as you said, the condom was worn for all contact, because you could not have been exposed to his ejaculate OR his pre-ejaculate.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

BUt the condom fell off at the end not inside me i dont think but like between my legs
vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

Im just really worried i mite be ovulating n the opening of the condom touched anyways
Heather
Member # 3

You seem to be pretty clear on knowing where the condom want and did not here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

what? im confused by what you mean
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think she means you initially said that the condom fell off but didn't touch the genitals, which would mean no risk. For there to be a pregnancy risk, semen would need to be touching/spilling into your vagina.
Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

but it could be near the opening wouldnt that be risk ?
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It CAN be, but the further away it was, the less likely it was to cause a pregnancy.

Do you think a glop of semen could have found it's way into your vagina?

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

well actually he didnt cum i was thinking of precum
vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

well actually he didnt cum i was thinking of precum
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Doesn't change the question - we assume pre-ejaculate has sperm in it to be on the safe side, though.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

i wasnt too worried until i remenebr i might be ovulating soon but idk its the opening really touched anywhere near the vaginal so i just assumed it was closse
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Pregnancy can only occur when there is direct penis to vagina or semen to vagina contact. It cannot be absorbed through the thigh or anywhere else.

So, I'm going to say you don't have a viable pregnancy risk as far as I can tell. Also going to caution you to pay more attention to where you have genital contact so you can be more aware and don't get really scared like this.

Also, if using condoms alone isn't feeling safe enough for you, take a walk through here: Birth Control Bingo! to see your options.

--------------------

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Also? Unless you're tracking your cycle with a method like FAM, keeping a sorta-eye on when you might be ovulating is entirely pointless and won't be helpful in preventing pregnancy at all, especially for a younger person.

More on that:
Get With the Flow: All About FAM

--------------------

vivi1324
Activist
Member # 57703

but basically its unlikey im pregnant ?
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Yes. When we say that we don't see a viable pregnancy risk, that means we don't think you stood a decent chance at getting pregnant in this scenario.

--------------------

LittleFlowers
Activist
Member # 44455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleFlowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to these posts, I thought Scarleteen stood behind precum not containing sperm unless a previous ejaculation occurred ?

Also, how would you respond to a condom slipping off, being stuck inside the vagina, with the entire opening outside of the vagina (before ejaculation)? Would you see a viable pregnancy risk in that situation given the guy had not ejaculated before this?

--------------------
<3 littleflowers

Posts: 101 | From: United States | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, that's true, but because there's no way to know for sure save examining pre-ejaculate under a microscope, it's always best to work on the assumption that it may contain sperm.

As long as the ring of the condom was outside the vagina and ejaculation hadn't occurred, the risk would be very low.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.