Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Emergency?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emergency?!
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetheart92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please help me. [Frown]
This is my situation...I am on the birth control pill Zovia 1/35, and I have been taking it for about two years now. I recently started having sex with my boyfriend (we are both tested and free from STDs), and we always use condoms. The problem is that about 25 hours ago, we had sex, and the condom slipped off just as he pulled out to ejaculate. needless to say, all the semen landed on my private area. I was devastated. I normally take my pill between 10:45 pm and 12:30 am, so its always within a three hour window ( my pill time is at 11:00 PM, but sometimes i take it a little earlier or a little later, depending on when i get to bed). I have never missed a pill, neither have i taken it later than 3 hours late. Where im getting at is, do you think that the EC pill is necessary for me to purchase? I am in a bit of a panic, as i do not want to get pregnant any time soon. Do you think my Birth control's effectiveness has been comprimised? am i now considered a typical user? please help me, i know that the EC pill is most effective the sooner it is taken.

Posts: 17 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The birth control pill is up to 99.7% effective on it's own with perfect use, and around 93% effective with typical use. It sounds like you are closer to the perfect use percentage.

Condoms are great because 1) the pill does not protect against STIs and 2) combining two methods is always more effective. You have a backup in case one method fails - in this case the condom did.

Plenty of women use only the birth control pill as their contraception and are just fine. Emergency contraception doesn't sound necessary in your situation.

Relax! You are doing all the right things.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical use is not defined by how a method BESIDES you pill works or doesn't.

It sounds like you have been taking your pill very well, so you can rest assured you have its full effectiveness, and Plan B, which is less effective than your pill, isn't needed here as it won't likely add any protection you don't already have from your pill.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetheart92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your fast reply! you guys are a lot of help, and have really made me feel a lot better. Just out of curiosity, while i was on my placebo pills about a week ago, I ended up eating dairy products (I am lactose intolerant). Could this have comprimised my effectiveness? It was during my period, so im assuming that it has no effect on this cycle of pills. Am i correct?
Posts: 17 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Issues with absorption around digestion are only relevant when there are pills you're taking to absorb in the first place.

So no, no need to worry about that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

Thank you very much, you guys are the greatest!
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

okay, just as i was barely starting to relax about my situation, i am now starting to really worry again. im an emotional wreck as of right now.
so, it has been about 10 days since my incident occured. i have been taking my pills regularly.
today it seems as if ive caught the stomach flu and now im worried that im at an increased risk of getting pregnant. i havent had any type of sexual interactions with my bf since. what do you suggest i do? am i doomed to get pregnant???

Heather
Member # 3

No.

Becoming ill now isn't going to have any impact on a risk of ten days ago. If you didn't become pregnant from that risk by now, you're not going to become so from that risk.

But since you know you are throwing up and such now, you just want to make sure that if you have any intercourse for the rest of this cycle, that you back up with a second method, like condoms, which you already do, so that's a no-brainer.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

okay, thank you. Im going to abstain from sex for a while. Do you think that it is likely that i am pregnant from ten days ago?
Heather
Member # 3

Scroll back up to how CoatRack and I both replied to you: my opinion hasn't changed. [Smile]

I think that if and when you're using two methods that make your risk as close to zero as it can get and you still feel really freaked and worried, that's usually a very good cue that you probably just don't feel right having the kind of sex that presents those risks. Sometimes that's only about taking those risks and feeling unwilling or unable to deal with them, sometimes it's about more things on top of that.

But either way, given how you've been feeling, I think stepping back from sex seems like a good call to take care of yourself to me.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

okay, i understand... I just feel so irresponsible given that the condom broke and all the semen was spilled onto my vulva. i guess that i really dont have a high chance of being pregnant, that would just be the worst thing imaginable to happen to me.
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It makes no sense to feel irresponsible because the condom broke - you were being responsible in that you were on the pill, taking it correctly, AND using a condom. That's why we back up our birth control methods - in case one fails, the other one is there to protect us. You didn't do anything wrong. Like I said above, you did everything right!

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

thank you [Smile]
sorry to be a bother, but since I didnt have any flu like symptoms until 12 hours after taking my pill, would it be safe to say that it was absorbed correctly?

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it absolutely would have been absorbed correctly by then.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

okay thats good to know. [Smile] I was just wondering, if i do decide to have sex again sooner than later, is there any way that i can prevent this type of condom mishap from happening again? I feel very comfortable with having sex knowing that i have two forms of protection, and i just do not want to have this problem occur again if there is a way that i can prevent it. Im not planning on having sex again until after this cycle of pills. Im expecting to get my withdrawal bleed on tuesday, im keeping my fingers crossed, but I was just thinking, i guess the reason i have such a hard time trusting my birth control pills alone is because i cant SEE that they are working. In a way it feels like im not protected at all, but really i should know that i am. Do you guys have any advice for me? thanks.... and sorry if i am being a bother, i know you are all very busy.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the condom slipped off just as he pulled out to ejaculate. needless to say, all the semen landed on my private area.
Okay, so based on your comment there I can walk you through a few things. First of all, if you or your partner did NOT hold the base of the condom when he went to withdrawal, then that's part 1 of making sure they don't slip off. Holding at the ring helps to keep it from slipping off as the force is against the condom with withdrawing. Hand in hand with this, since you use condoms thereby having two methods, there's really no reason for your partner to withdrawal before ejaculation. Scrambling to withdrawal before ejaculating can often lead to either not holding the base firmly or forgetting altogether to do so (and let's be honest... that's a pretty darn hard time to remember to do anything). Condoms are designed to contain ejaculation.

Thirdly, is making sure if you weren't to be using a good water based lubricant. That helps to lessen friction on the condom, can also help with keeping it in place during withdrawal, and is part of using condoms correctly.

For a step-by-step of proper condom use and all this, have a look at this article here: Condom Basics: A User's Manual.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

Okay thanks a lot [Smile] i guess i never really realized that withdrawal could be doing more harm than good in this case. I have never used lube before, but i know we have some somewhere! ill make sure it is water based as well.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome to hear [Smile] . If you can't find any or it's not water based, astroglide, liquidsilk, and pink are all good brands (astroglide's pretty easy to find in most pharmacies).

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

ok thank you! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.