Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Ovulating and Plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovulating and Plan B
Channy
Activist
Member # 34946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Channy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, my boyfriend and I made the mistake of being unprotected while having sex. It was exactly 2 weeks after my period. He pulled out, but he wasn't entirely sure nothing went inside so I took Plan B an hour later. The problem is that I think I was ovulating at the time, and I know Plan B works to prevent ovulation. So, if I was ovulating and still took Plan B is it less effective? How great is my risk for pregnancy in this situation?
Posts: 78 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plan B works in at least two of three ways: it suppresses ovulation, it thicken cervical mucus to make sperm less mobile (and thus, fertilization less likely) and it also may thin the lining of the uterus so that even if sperm and egg do meet, implantation is unlikely. It's that last one that's not documented: the other two are.

I don't know of any studies on Plan B which document rates done at specific times of the fertility cycle. However, not all women ovulate at the same time, so if you don't chart your fertility daily, haven't done so for a while, and/or haven't been taught how to analyze that data, I'd not get too hung up on if you were ovulating or not.

Withdrawal is anywhere from 73-82% effective in typical use, and is estimated at around 96% effective in perfect use. Used within 24 hours, Plan B is around 95% effective. So, your pregnancy risks are very slim.

I'd just make sure you remember -- sorry to add another source of worry -- that STIs are also an issue and a real risk, so you'll both want to get tested in around a month and also have some serious talks about making sure any sex you have from here on out involves sound safer sex and contraception.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Channy
Activist
Member # 34946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Channy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going by the not so reliable "calandar method" on tracking ovulation. Worst case senario, if I was ovulating the sperm would have a difficult time reaching the egg then. So, either way I'm about 95% safe?

This question you may not know how to answer, but how do researchers think it may thin the lining of the uterus but be unable to document it? Is it just some sort of educated guess?

Posts: 78 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, either way you are because that's the documented effectiveness rate.

I'm trying to think of the best way to answer your second question, because it's not so easy to find the right words.

Basically, it's easier to prove that someone does or doesn't ovulate or that mucus is thinner or thicker. My understanding is -- and logic dictates -- that we can't prove or find that an egg was fertilized but didn't implant (which is something understood to happen frequently all the time for people not even using any contraception), because there's just no way to know that -- it's not like it's something that winds up in someone's underpants, it's cell tissue that just gets absorbed by the body and/or is indistinguishable from anything else.

Make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Channy
Activist
Member # 34946

So basically, it's just something that's difficult to measure and therefore can't be scientifically proven, but it's believed to work in that manner. Because if there were much doubt about it working in that 3rd way, it probably wouldn't even be mentioned.

Can't measure it, can't prove it, but it's likely. Right?

Heather
Member # 3

We know hormonal birth control keeps the lining of the uterus thinner in most users because what can easily be shown is things like lighter flow with periods. It's just how it may operate when it comes to an ovum that's likely -- because we do know and can show an egg needs that lining to implant -- but not something proven.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Channy
Activist
Member # 34946

I'm sorry to be posting again, I'm just driving myself insane over here and am unsure of where else I can go to vent or find support. I'm researching my head off to try and calm my nerves, and I still have until the 12th before I expect my period. I know I can take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after the incident, 10 days would be this upcoming tuesday. However, if I were to take a test it would be less accurate than waiting 14 days...so I'd just convince myself that it couldn't detect it yet even if it came out negative on 10 days after.

I know all I can do now is wait, pray, and hope. The odds are in my favor, but Plan B doesn't always work. 7/8 women who would have become pregnant won't, but there's still that 1/8. I'm obviously not ready to be playing with fire like this, and I need to be protected in the future. Yet if I end up pregnant, my future is pretty much ruined.

I don't know what I'm looking for you to say, but anything would be appreciated. I'm just scared.

Heather
Member # 3

Do you have any friends who know you're currently going through a pregnancy scare who you can lean on?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Channy
Activist
Member # 34946

Absolutely not. I have a lot of friends, just not any close ones that I could confide in with this particular topic. No family I could tell either.

Patience is a virtue, but obviously not one that I possess. Deep breaths...

Heather
Member # 3

Well, if you just want to talk some about your fears, I'm happy to listen. In other words, when we freak out like this, a lot of it is about what on earth we would do if we would up pregnant. And sometimes, just walking through how we would feel and what we WOULD do can help a whole lot to let the air out of some of that fear balloon.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Channy
Activist
Member # 34946

Okay, I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I just went to the bathroom...its one week after the incident and one week before I'm expecting my period. There's very light bleeding. How will I know if this is implantation bleeding or my period?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Implantation bleeding really is pretty rare. Is the around the time when your period should be arriving?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Channy
Activist
Member # 34946

It's been 3 weeks since my last period. I'm on day 21 of my cycle. I don't keep great track of my regular cycles, but it seems early to be having a period. It was just very light pink when I went to wipe, and I'm not sure if this is due to the EC or possible implantation. So far nothing has leaked onto the pad that I put on. Just when I went to wipe after using the bathroom.

[ 03-05-2011, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Channy ]

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EC is knows to cause spotting. Best thing you can do is try your best to remain calm. Only a couple more days before you can test if it's been a week. Try and find some things to help keep your mind occupied - taking a walk or writing in a journal, or hanging out with friends, whatever.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.