Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Plan B, Bleeding, Pregnancy Risk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B, Bleeding, Pregnancy Risk
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

Icon 4 posted      Profile for crazysexycool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, when I was on Day 4 of my period (1/8/11), I ended up having unprotected sex with my ex. We stopped before he came, though, and I'm not saying the pull out method. I mean we stopped before he even got to that point. But I still felt scared, so the next day, I bought Plan B and took it. But on 1/14/11, we had unprotected sex again, but stopped before he ejaculated and before he even got to that point.

I know what I've done is incredibly stupid, and I'm going to the doctor next week to get on birth control and I'm buying condoms of my own to carry around. But, I've started bleeding today 1/15/11 and I'm scared: Is this the side effect of Plan B, or is it implantation bleeding? How much of a risk do I have of being pregnant? I've tried to look at the risk assessment, but the website won't let me look and won't let me log in. Please, please, please, help me, I'm freaking out here.

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Posts: 31 | From: Q-Town, Florida | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Withdrawal (the "pull-out method") poses a pregnancy risk from anywhere between 5 and 25%. Since you say he pulled out well before ejaculation both times, the risk is probably on the smaller side. And the risk from the first time is decreased further still by you having taken Plan B.

If the bleeding you're experiencing today is more than just a little bit of light spotting, you can be sure that it's not implantation bleeding.

It's much, much more likely to be bleeding caused by the EC you took.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you'll have to wait a few more days and then take a pregnancy test. A pregnancy test will give you an accurate reading at 10-14 days after the risk.

One additional note: unprotected sex also poses STI risks, so if you and your partner haven't been tested recently, you'll want to make appointments to get tested.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazysexycool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly is light spotting? Is it just little spots of blood here and there? Is it really light?

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Posts: 31 | From: Q-Town, Florida | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting is a term for very light bleeding, which yes, sometimes is light enough it appears as just small, pink spots on undergarments.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazysexycool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, this will be my last question. Last night, I had sex again. We used a condom but then he took it off for about 30 seconds. He pulled out, though. And did not ejaculate inside of me-- I saw it myself. I am still worried though: Is it possible that some of it still got inside of me? My period should be coming towards the beginning of February, and I don't want to buy Plan B again, especially if it may mess with my cycle and it costs a lot. But do you think I should?

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there,

Thing is, if you want a condom to actually protect you, you need to use it for the whole session. Otherwise, why bother?

Withdrawal alone is about 73-82% effective with typical use. So, it's up to you if you feel that isn't enough and you want to procure Plan B as back up. It's not really wise to go by cycle timing to assess your risk unless you're using a method like # Fertility Awareness (FAM) because it can vary so much, especially when you're in the first 5 years of your cycle.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

I only mentioned my cycle because I know one of the side effects of Plan B are changes in the menstrual cycle. I just didn't want Plan B to make it come later than it usually would, because I'd just freak out more. Does that make sense?

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I understand now what you meant.

Thing is though, does it make more sense to you to skip protecting yourself from potential pregnancy or to risk having your period being a little more messed up?

Which do you think, at this point, would mess up and complicate your life more?

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

I understand what you're saying. Thank you.

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

You're very welcome.

--------------------

crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

Hi. I'm sorry for all of this, I'm just worried. I took Plan B after my last risk early Tuesday morning (12:41am). Since then, I've begun to experience bloating, gas, and somewhat frequent urination. Now, I usually experience these things before my period comes on, but is this what this is? Or could this be pregnancy symptoms? I'm waiting to take a pregnancy test again, I just want to know if you all think this is pregnancy symptoms or PMS symptoms....

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, the first sign you'd notice of pregnancy isn't that list - it's a missed period (or in the case of being on the pill and missed withdrawal bleed). If that's how you normally are before a period, most likely what you're facing.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

Also, since I took Plan B twice in the same month, what would that have done to my period?

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plan B can really mess with your cycle, even more so if you take it twice in a relatively short period of time. How irregular it will be and for how long isn't really possible to say, but you should be prepared for some wonkiness for at least a couple of months.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

Thank you Karybu. I really wish I hadn't done this to myself. I'm just really worried and stressed. I just want to see my period so that I can know for sure that I am not pregnant. I just want everything to be okay.

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

Okay, well, my period is late. But I have two negative pregnancy tests. I'm getting a blood pregnancy test soon to check. But I'm just wondering, with me having taken Plan B twice, with 22 days (3 weeks & 1 day) between both doses, how much of a chance is it that my missing period is because of Plan B instead of pregnancy? I just want to know your opinion of what you think this could be...with all of the info you know, do you think I'm pregnant?

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's clear you're NOT pregnant, it's quite likely this is about Plan B or about something else, like being this stressed out.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

I don't want to be annoying, but aren't the urine pregnancy tests often inaccurate?

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Heather
Member # 3

Not when used correctly, not, not at all. They're very accurate (which is why clinics usually use urine tests, too). On the whole, they're usually estimated at around 97% accurate.

But if you don't feel comfortable with that, you could certainly go to any family planning or abortion clinic to get pregnancy test: they're usually free at either place.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.