Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » STI Risk Eye/Throat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI Risk Eye/Throat?
cincosoles
Activist
Member # 42014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cincosoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering what would have to happen to get chlamydia/gonorrhea in your eye/throat.

I've read that chlamydia in the throat is rare, but gonorrhea is quite possible.

Why I ask:

I gave oral sex to a guy (we are not dating), yet who SAID he was clean (finding out today he doesn't know the full results of his bloodwork until tomorrow....more reason to never trust any guy ever. again. but I'm the one who took the risk so he's not the only one to blame).

That was Saturday, a week ago. Flash forward to this past Saturday, I woke up with horrid pink eye (which I'm not so sure is bacterial because it's not REALLY ooey and gooey, and my vision is crazy blurred...went to the doctor they gave me drops, still not any better...making an appointment with the eye department as soon as they open tomorrow)

My mom will likely want to come with me, which, has me all kinds of freaking out.

I am not sure my type of pink of fits what I've read abot pink eye caused by gonorrhea, however, iffy on the chlamydial pink eye...??

Would sperm have to literally come into contact with my eye for me to get either of these?

I also have a terribly sore throat. However, that's apparently a symptom of viral pink eye.

I tried to "assess my risk" bu it said it was for registered users only and I wasn't able to log-in...so I'm assuming I'm not one of those users.

Sorry for info overload.

Know that I'm not just ignoring how terrifyingly scary it is to have blurry vision, but I talked with my nurse and she said to call tomorrow, so that is what i am doing. Just want to know in the mean time, if i COULD have and sti/std in my eye.

THANKS ALL!!

Posts: 45 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Cincosoles,

I did a little bit of internet research on this and it seems that both chlamydia and gonorrhea can be transmitted from hand to eye if some infected fluid was on it. Both have symptoms of redness, itchiness or discharge of the eye. The good news is that both are easy to treat/cure with antibiotics if it does end up that it's what you have. It is also possible that you just randomly got pink eye though. Did your doctor do any tests to determine exactly what it is that you have? Did you tell her/him that you were worried it could be an STI?

In case you don't know, it's perfectly within your rights to request that your mother not come into the room with you when you're talking to the doctor. Too, doctor-patient confidentiality means that even if your mother wanted to know what was discussed, they can't tell her. If you're not comfortable asking your mother not to be there, you can ask the doctor or nurse to request it for you. I'm sure it's something that they get quite often.

As for the STI risk assessment piece (if that's what you mean?), I'm not sure why it's saying registered users only. It's not supposed to be doing that. I'll look into it. Does this link work for you? STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

[ 09-13-2010, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cincosoles
Activist
Member # 42014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cincosoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, by the way, this whole thing turned out to be Iritis? Which was even weirder...and way scarier I think....I had to put drop in my eye every hour for like 4 days, sleep with a weird goo and go in every three or so days for a check up....It's made me lose more trust in my health care facility.

First, (and this is in my other posts here) they diagnosed serious blood clot that had me in ICU for a week as a UTI,

Now, they diagnose Iritis, which could've potentially given me permanent vision loss had I let it go (I could tell the pink eyes drops weren't doing anything...usually antibiotics are fact action...and the fact that I basically lost all vision in one eye had me flipped!) and continued on with pink eye meds!

Weirded out about how I got it....doctor said 70% if the time it's totally random and 30% it's due to some pretty serious disease that he was pretty sure I'd knew if I had one of them.

So, just to put an end to the mysterious pink eye.

Posts: 45 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cincosoles
Activist
Member # 42014

Sorry I just like closure. If I talked to all these people like you guys do, sometimes I'd wonder what the end result is....because I tend to just stop writing once I know everything's ok!

Also I meant that they diagnosed Iritis as pink eye in that second paragraph. I got lost in my sentence!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.