Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Financial Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Financial Help!
Becky09
Neophyte
Member # 49462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Becky09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need financial help for my abortion surgery. Can anyone help please!
Posts: 7 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Becky09
Neophyte
Member # 49462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Becky09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made my appointment already and I did call national abortion federation and they did help me already but I'm 20 weeks into my pregnancy and it's going to cost me $1,850 and they only could help me with $740 I am still very happy and greatful they did help me even with that but I still need $1110 and i barely have any money.
Posts: 7 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Becky09
Neophyte
Member # 49462

I live in Escanaba, Michigan but my appointment is in chicago.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So, as they probably told you on the NAF hotline, there are a lot of steps to funding, and it can be kind of a crazymaking process, so this is probably going to take us a while.

To get more funding, the first thing other funds will want to know is what you have been able to raise yourself. It's VERY rare for someone to be able to need to raise none on their own. In other words, getting all that cash from the funding sources is not going to be likely, especially without pretty special circumstances.

So, first things first: can you kind of fill me in on the situation here? Some things that matter/can impact funding are:
• why someone got far enough along to be having a procedure late enough where the cost is so high (not a judgment: rather, there are some unique circumstances that land most women in that spot)
• how your pregnancy happened
• how far along in the pregnancy you are
• any special health circumstances, including mental health
• what the situation is with the male person who co-created the pregnancy
• what your housing/job situation is like
• what your age and race is
• if you are on any kind of state or federal government assistance
• If medicare/medicaid in your state covers any abortion costs

Can you fill me in on some of that? I can then help you identify some more funds to call.

[ 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have a minute, I'll go ahead and write you up a little list per sources to find funds yourself, too, just in case there's anywhere/anyone you haven't thought about.

Some people to ask are:
• the partner who co-created the pregnancy (if this was consensual sex: we can talk about if it wasn't)
• parents, siblings or other family members
• friends
• any older adult mentors you may have

Some places to identify sources of your own income you may not have:
• selling anything of value you may have (I know it sucks to have to consider, especially with anything sentimental, but it is something to consider)
• anything like any bonds should you have had something like that from childhood
• any quick, part-time work you could get, especially any that pay cash -- sometimes even things like babysitting, mowing someone's lawn, housesitting for a neighbor can come in really handy
• balancing bills you may have to pay soon, but could get payment agreements for. For instance, maybe you have credit card or student loan payments due soon you'd pay with your cash otherwise, but can get those payments deferred so you can use your cash for this now, and deal with those payments later

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Without knowing anything else yet, this fund on the NNAF site looks like one it'd be wise to put an intake call into:

Fund Name:Chicago Abortion Fund
City:Chicago
State:IL
Zip Code:60610
Contact Name:Emelda Ortiz
Contact Phone:312.663.0338
Eligibility:Women from the midwest (IN, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, etc.) coming to Chicago or Illinois for their abortion. Funding for second trimester abortions only.
Financial assistance:Abortion, ultrasound
Other services:Information & referral, education & advocacy
Services provided by volunteers:None
Intake Procedure:Women call the client services phone line and can listen to a highly detailed message which explains the Fund's process and when to call back. If they can not get through and/or do not qualify, the message also specifies other Funds and clinics they can call. The Fund does not answer the phone on non-intake hours, nor does the Fund return unsolicited messages from non-client women. Funding is distributed on a first come, first serve basis. When the women do get through the phone line, they are interviewed by the client services coordinator. They must have an appointment made at a clinic the Fund works with and demonstrate financial need via the answers they give in the interview.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.