Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » STD? :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STD? :(
caitmcgo
Activist
Member # 41749

Icon 5 posted      Profile for caitmcgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the beginning of august sometime, i had unprotected sex with a guy. (bad choice i know. will never happen again) i am on birth control so i am not so much worried about being pregnant. Then the other day i was at the doctor for my annual and she asked if the amount of discharge was normal, and i think it is for me since i am expecting my period soon.
Last night, someone fingered me; now it might be cause i was not wet enough or cause he was a little rougher, but i have been sore all day and the discharge today was kinda red.
I know i already got tested and haven't gotten a call yet but it has only been a couple days since i went to the doctor. But does this sound like an std? [Frown]

--------------------
-Caitlin :)

Posts: 54 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The increased discharge may be an infection of some kind, but the soreness and red discharge is probably related to the manual sex you had last night, especially if you were not lubricated enough. Regardless, if you got a full screening, you should know in a few days, although you may want to hold off on any kind of sex until you get the results.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5775 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: oops, Karybu got there before me! [Smile]

However, do keep in mind that since you had sex recently, if you did contract an STI, it may not show up on your recent screening because STIs can take up to a few months before they begin showing up on screenings. So it'd be a good idea to schedule another appointment for a screening in a few months.

I'd also like to say, being in Ontario myself, that your annual check up from the doctor may not have been a full STI screening -- I've found it a little hard to get across to my GP that I want more than just a pap smear. So if your annual didn't include urine/blood/mouth swab tests, then it's not a full STI panel, and you'll want to ask her for reference to a lab that can do that, or you can find a local sexual health clinic that does full screenings (because often GPs can't do all the tests themselves so they'll send you to another clinic/lab to get those done).

[ 08-19-2010, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linden Tree
Neophyte
Member # 48472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linden Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have had an exposure last jan to herpes. I have had about 5 tests since that exposure and they have all been negative for genital herpes. Right now I have two little sore areas on my labia majora (like pimples) and no other symptoms. I have used condoms for intercourse since the time in jan. I am worried it might be herpes. What do you think?

--------------------
Feather

Posts: 2 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(In the future, if you have a question, please start a new topic for it using the "new topic" button in the bottom left of every page. It helps keep things tidy, and means it's easier for us to see your question so it doesn't get missed. Thanks!)

Given that it's been about eight months since your possible exposure, and the number of tests you've had, I'd say it's pretty unlikely that it's herpes. Too, the initial symptoms generally occur within a month or so of exposure, so if this is the first time since then that you've noticed any sore spots like this, that means it's even more unlikely (and it is entirely possible to get pimples on your labia, just FYI).

All the same though, it wouldn't hurt to have these looked at by a doctor just to make sure, because blood tests are not as accurate in terms of making a diagnosis as actual examination of a sore. You'll also want to keep up with your testing - not only for herpes, but for all STIs, because while latex barriers greatly reduce the risk of transmission, they don't eliminate it completely.

[ 08-21-2010, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5775 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.