Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » At risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: At risk?
sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweeny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I recently switched birth control brands and have been a little concerned.I have been on Diane 35 for around 2 years now, but my doctor took me off of it and started me on Yaz.I was finishing the last day of inactive pills with the Diane brand on a friday, and started the new pack of Yaz on the Saturday (The day I usually start new packs on).This new pack was started on July 31st, and therefore it hasnt been a full month yet.Last night I had protected sex, however the condom broke and he came inside of me. Am I at risk of pregnancy because it hasnt been a full cycle? Does the fact that Yaz has 28 pills (24 active and 4 reminder pills) increase the risk? Should I be looking into emergency contraception?

Thank you

Posts: 22 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you started the new type of pill without taking more than a 7-day break, your protection shouldn't be compromised at all. And the fact that Yaz has 24 active pills instead of 21 doesn't change the effectiveness either - I don't see a need for emergency contraception here.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweeny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much! I was also wondering if its dangerous to take emergency contraception twice in one cycle, and even twice in one week? Also if I was going to take EC during the active pills of the pack, would it be safe to continue the rest of the pack as normal?
Posts: 22 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, EC is a big dose of hormones, so taking it two times so close together may mean you'd have more side effects, but there's no long-term health risks in taking EC. If you do take it, and you're on the pill, you should just keep taking your pills as usual.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

Should I be worried that the condom broke though? I have heard many stories about people getting pregnant while being on birth control and would like to be extra cautious.Ive been debating whether I should take EC just for peace of mind. Is this recommended or am I worrying about nothing?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

The vast majority of the time, pregnancy happens when someone is on birth control because they are not using it correctly. If you've been taking your pills every day at the same time, and haven't missed any, your risk of pregnancy is less than 1%. Given that EC is only about 85% effective at best, taking it wouldn't make any practical difference in your level of protection, but it's up to you. For some people, taking it is worth it just for the peace of mind, but you really don't need it here.

--------------------

sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

Ok,Thanks again. I just get really paranoid about these kinds of things.I havnt been taking the pills at exactly the same time, but within 2 hours.Is that still ok? And theres no difference because I havnt been on the new brand for a full cycle yet?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

With combination pills, you have about a three-hour window either way in which to take your pills - a difference of 2 hours is just fine. And there isn't a difference in protection even though you haven't been on the new pill for a full cycle yet, as you didn't take more than seven days between the last active pill of your last pack and the first pill of this new pack.

--------------------

sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

K, Thank you for answering all of my questions. I have one more however. If the pill was ineffective and I did ovulate, would that period of ovulation already passed with having the first day of my period starting on July 28th? And if I missed a pill in my last cycle, would it affect my effectivness in this cycle?
sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

Ive also heard being overweight decreases the effectiveness. Is this by a big percentage?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Missing a pill in any previous cycle does not have an impact on the effectiveness in your current cycle. If by some chance (and it's incredibly unlikely) you did ovulate during your last pack of pills, that also would not change the effectiveness of the pills in this cycle. After an egg has been released, it's only viable for a couple of days at the very most.

As for weight, there is some evidence that the pill may be less effective in women whose BMI is over 28 or so, but if your doctor prescribed you the pill and didn't mention anything about your weight potentially being a problem, there's no need for concern.

--------------------

sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

ok, that eases my mind a bit thank you. Would I be putting myself at risk for the next seven days if I took EC?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

I'm not sure what you mean by "putting yourself at risk" - could you clarify?

--------------------

sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

Would taking EC mean that I would be unprotected by my birth control pill until I have taken it for seven days after the emergency contraceptive?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

No, emergency contraception does not in any way impact the effectiveness of your regular birth control pill.

--------------------

sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

Just making sure, do I have any reason to be worried in this situation? and any reason for taking EC? Im a little confused about what it says on the Plan B website. Do you think you could clear this up for me?

* -During the first 7 days of restarting the pill, if you have sex, use an additional form of contraception
-If these 7 days take you into a new pack of pills, don't take your usual one-week break between packs - just carry straight on with the next pack

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

As I said earlier, you absolutely do not need EC. If you want to take it, that's your call, but you don't need it.

The instructions on the Plan B website refer to situations in which someone has taken Plan B due to missing several birth control pills. Since you did not miss any pills, those instructions do not apply to you.

Honestly, I just don't know how else to reassure you that your risk is incredibly small and there is no need for EC. If this small a risk is stressing you out this much, I would really encourage you to think about whether or not now is a good time for you to be having sex. It's not really worth it if it causes so much anxiety, you know?

--------------------

sweeny
Neophyte
Member # 48429

I know I do stress too much over this and I`m trying to stop. Its that small risk that I cant get over and causes this anxiety. Thanks for all your help, and answering all my questions.I really appreciate it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.