Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Herpes transmission

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herpes transmission
alyssa.jacobs
Activist
Member # 45946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alyssa.jacobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can the herpes virus be transmitted via a toilet seat?
Posts: 56 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toilet seats really aren't something people have to worry about with sexually transmitted infections.

The president of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) has stated elsewhere that she is unaware of even one single case where an STI was acquired that way.

For sure, bathrooms have a lot of germs in them, but so long as you're washing your hands after you use the toilet, it's all probably good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alyssa.jacobs
Activist
Member # 45946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alyssa.jacobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I have read that herpes can be spread without there even being any blisters. How is this possible? What is it that spreads herpes?
Posts: 56 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Herpes is a virus, just like a cold or flu virus. Those viruses, however, are airborne. Herpes is spread by direct contact with the virus, usually by having skin-to-skin contact with someone who has it.

It is most often spread when there are active sores or when someone with Herpes is developing an active sore. However, there's also something called "asymptomatic shedding" of that virus, in which it can be spread without sores.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alyssa.jacobs
Activist
Member # 45946

Oh ok. My friend is unsure at the moment if she has contracted this virus. She believes the guy who she had sex with has some sort of STD. She and some friends--including me--shared a bathroom with her for a day, just the toilet. We we--me and some friends--be at risk if, by chance, she contracted the virus? Should we be screened now? This happened only yesterday.
alyssa.jacobs
Activist
Member # 45946

This kept me up all night :/ (as you can see in the time stamp haha)
Heather
Member # 3

EVERYONE who is sexually active should ideally have regular STI screenings. Everyone. But if and when we suspect or know we had intimate contact with someone who does have an active STI, we can get screened more frequently or get an additional screening. So, if she's sexually active and doesn't get tested, she should regardless. If she already does, but thinks she may have been exposed to an STI, another screening is a good idea.

If you and your friends are NOT sexually active, because you shared a bathroom with your friend is not a reason you'd need to be screened. Again, toilet seats are a non-issue. If you and/or your friends ARE or have been sexually active, again, you want to get screenings regularly regardless.

Make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

alyssa.jacobs
Activist
Member # 45946

Ok, thanks so much. Me and my friends are not sexually active.

The guy she had sex with said that he has been screened before. He said the test was a skin test. I have no idea what a skin test is. Is this an accurate method of testing? Which type of test would be ideal?

Heather
Member # 3

If she has not been screened for STIs, what she wants is a full panel. It just doesn't make sense to screen for only one things she may have been exposed to, because she may have been exposed to anything.

I don't know what a "skin test" is either. That's not terminology we use. Perhaps he meant a cell culture? If so, know that, again, having had one test for one thing doesn't mean someone has been tested for everything. A full panel of STI tests will include blood and urine testing, a visual exam, for people with a vulva, a pap smear, and swabbing of various sites.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.