Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » stds!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stds!!!
angelsface
Activist
Member # 27822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelsface     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am SO freaked out right now. i had unprotected sex with a guy i wasn't exclusively dating, horrible idea especially because i was drunk. i'm on birth control and got my period today, so i was relieved to find out i wasn't pregnant. however, i'm still so INCREDIBLY worried about the chance of having an std..

this week i attempted to do a cleanse where the first day you drink only water for 24 hours. i attempted this and only made it until about 2 pm, but tried again the next day with the same result. (this may seem unrelated but will tie back in later). for the past maybe 2-4 days there have been times where i felt like i had an uncomfortable pee. not necessarily painful but just not right. i've had several uti's so i know what they feel like and this was nothing close to the pain of a uti. however, my pelvic area started to hurt and sort of ache occasionally as well. GRANTED, this was the few days prior to getting my period, during which i almost always have some sort of discomfort.
i feel like i've really freaked myself into connecting normal bodily symptoms to relating them to STD's, with good reason however- given my stupid sexual activity choices.

i've had no signs of sores or rashes on my vagina (although i can't exactly look inside so i have no idea what's going on up there). i have also been getting sick - i work in a preschool so germs are everywhere, and i believe my sore throat in the morning accompanied with slight cough and congestion/mucus can be attributed to a bug i caught at work.

so, i went to get tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia at planned parenthood and the nurse there explained that some of these uncomfortable feelings may be coming from the fact that it's been incredibly hot in my area and i may not be getting enough water? and that my urine may be just a little too acidic? i tried testing her theory out today and when i passed urine that was clear it did feel a bit better.

i'm just wondering if there's any chance that my symptoms show any signs of STDS? i didn't get tested for genital herpes because the nurse said it's incredibly expensive out of insurance and i should just go to my general practitioner for it.. (i've also had the hpv shot for reference.) but that just leaves one more thing to worry about having!!

basically, i'm hoping someone can give me an educated reality check. i'm losing my mind and just hope whatever i might have can be treated and my life wont be ruined by genital herpes [Frown]

Posts: 114 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odds are low that what you're experiencing are STI symptoms--if drinking more water helped, it's likely you haven't been properly hydrated (which often makes pms symptoms significantly worse).

If you haven't had any open sores, then it's unlikely you've contracted herpes. BUT it may take six months for other STIs to show up, so you'll want to make sure you get tested again once it has been six months. You may have an STI, but by testing now and again in six months, you'll catch it early enough that it will be treatable (the most common STIs other than herpes and hpv are very treatable).

Too, be careful with cleanses like that--I don't see what harm that could do in a single day so long as you eat food after it, but don't attempt any sort of fast like that unless you're feeling healthy and well.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.