Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Ripping? Freaking out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ripping? Freaking out
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone... my bf and I had intercourse two days ago and I've been hurting ever since. It did hurt a bit while we were having intercourse, but only during the first minutes, and even if it DID hurt more than it usually does for me (we do use plenty of lube but his penis is quite a big one, and I haven't been having intercourse lately, so it usually hurts a little bit during the first few minutes... but since it eventually goes away I assume it to be normal), I blamed it on the fact that it was my first time without a condom (I'm on the ring) and thus on the "extra friction".

However it still hurts when I touch the outside of my vagina or when I try to put a finger inside. It's not an unbearable kind of pain but it's there and it's freaking me out, specially after I looked a bit closer and realised it looks like my vaginal opening has been torn or ripped apart a little bit in its lowest point... there's no blood or anything but I'm really worried. Is it possible for this to happen just because of intercourse or am I just "seeing things"? What should I do about it?? Please please help [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is possible with intercourse, yes.

I'd stay away from all penetrative stuff (including the use of tampons) for at least a week or two. If it doesn't feel better after a week, or it starts to hurt more, or you start noticing an unusual discharge, get to a doctor ASAP.

Are you up to date on STI testing, given that you're having sex without a condom? I'd advise getting checked for those in a month or so, particularly given that you've had this injury (having an open cut makes it easier to get all sorts of infections).

For now, wash yourself with mild soap or water and keep irritating things away from your vagina for a while.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx a lot for your response atm1, I'm a bit less worried now. I'm staying away from intercourse and my menstrual cup, and I've been washing myself with acid pH soap. So far it doesn't hurt that much, not even when I pee, and it doesn't look that bad either, it's just... ripped. I haven't get checked for STI's but I'm definitely going to in a month or so as you've advised me to do. Again thank you.

So... if I keep on taking care of it this way, it should heal on its own just like any other kind of injury, right? How long do these kind of things take to heal, and how long should I stay away from intercourse afterwards? And is it likely to reopen easily? Also, do these kind of things happen often? I'd never heard about it, except in cases of rape and such and I had no idea it could happen to me this way [Frown]

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it should heal on its own, probably within a week or two. I'd say avoid intercourse until it's looked better for a couple of days.

These things aren't super common, but I'd say it does happen decently often for a variety of reasons.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm so it's been almost two weeks, it still doesn't hurt or anything, but it's still there. It doesn't look as if it has healed at all, it's not easy for me to take a good look at but if it has closed it might have been only very slightly. Should I see a doctor about this? Is there any chance that the "sides" of the tear have "healed" separately, so to speak, and thus it is not going to "close" at all? [Frown] [Frown]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.