Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Birth Control Switch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Switch
Alexander
Neophyte
Member # 41481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello my girlfriend recently switched birth control type from ortho-tricyclin to another type we have had sex since she switched and I was wondering if that would just count as starting birth control over entirely... Is it effective was it effective is she able to get pregnant?
Posts: 11 | From: U.S. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what her new birth control pill is called?

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander
Neophyte
Member # 41481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She won't tell me but it looks just like the quasense package except instead of red its blue.
Posts: 11 | From: U.S. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander
Neophyte
Member # 41481

aright after extensively researching every type of different brand of birth control it's the color of the yaz package but it flips out and is attached to the inside of the pack? I suppose.
Thats about as close as I can get to telling you about what it looks like.

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chances are, you're fine, as long as she was switching from one combined pill to another.

I find it a bit disconcerting that she won't tell you what type of pill she's taking since well, it's the birth control you're using too. Do you know why she won't tell you?

If you ever have any concerns about her pills, you can simply insist on using condoms as a back up for a while.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander
Neophyte
Member # 41481

its a combined pill yes on a 28 day cycle and shes a sunday starter...
Shes really... Shy about sharing such in depth details with me and doesn't know why I need to know but I need to be the kind loving boyfriend and show her its just not about sex at all... And I want to make her feel comfortable its just at times she gets so worried she won't divulge anything information wise.

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also mention that any pregnancy risk effects *both of you.* It's pretty easy to frame things in a "I really care about you, and so if you got pregnant, it would be a big deal in both of our lives."

Also, you might want to read through this article, and maybe print it out for her to read, too:

Be a Blabbermouth! The Whats, Whys and Hows of Talking About Sex With a Partner

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander
Neophyte
Member # 41481

alright thanks atm [Smile]
So we are in the clear then?
Since its a combined pill?

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Yes, you should be.

Generally, switching from one combined pill to another does not mean that there's a lull in effectiveness, so long as she went straight from one pack to the next.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.