Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Alcohol and the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alcohol and the pill
iPhotograph2010
Neophyte
Member # 42423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iPhotograph2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I was wondering if consuming alcohol reduces the effectiveness of the pill at all.

Here's the situation: About a week ago, me and my boyfriend were at a friend's house. I made sure to take my pill at the same time I had been for the last week. There was alcohol at my friend's house, and I consumed some, but not so much that I didn't know what I was doing. Later, however, me and my boyfriend had sex- without a condom. He did not ejaculate inside me, but I am still concerned. Also, I was told by my gynecologist to take my pill packs three months through, therefore eliminating my period for 3 months.

Basically, I am wondering if because I have been taking two months (so far) of straight pills, will the alcohol affect me? Should I be concerned about pregnancy?

Posts: 6 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alcohol all by itself should not impact your pill. It's things like vomiting alcohol can cause which might.

As well, using the pill for menstrual suppression also does not impact the pill's effectiveness. After all, you're taking more hormones that way, not less.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iPhotograph2010
Neophyte
Member # 42423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iPhotograph2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thank you for your help (:
Posts: 6 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iPhotograph2010
Neophyte
Member # 42423

Just one more quick question...

About 3 days before this night, I took a pill for a yeast infection that is known to possibly take away the effectiveness of the birth control in the bc pill, and is suppost to stay in your system for about a week. Once again, my boyfriend did not ejaculate, so I am wonding if you could consider the "method" we used as an effective pull-out procedure.
It has been a little over 3 weeks, and I am getting concerned. I have been having really painful cramps in my stomach and sparatic random bleeding this past week, which occured at the end of my pill pack when I normally get my period. Is this possibly because my body is confused on why I'm not letting it do it's monthly "thing"?
Should I be concerned about pregnacy? Is the bleeding a sign that I'm not pregnant? Also, if I take a pregnancy test, will the birth contol pills have any effect on the results?

Thank you so much... I guess this was a little longer than just a quick question (:

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's tough to say with a situation like that what sort of risk you might have had, save that intercourse without ejaculation poses a slightly lower risk than if your partner had ejaculated.

Since it has been three weeks since this happened, you can take a pregnancy test now and get an accurate result. Your birth control pills won't affect the test; pregnancy tests detect a different hormone than the ones in birth control.

As far as the bleeding goes, spotting or bleeding is actually very common when taking more than one pack of pills in a row and skipping withdrawal bleeds. It doesn't indicate anything, and it isn't anything to be concerned about, but if it bothers you then it's worth talking to your gynecologist about to see if there's another pill or birth control method that might not have that side effect for you.

[ 06-02-2009, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iPhotograph2010
Neophyte
Member # 42423

Thank you so much.

So, even though I had some bleeding I could still be pregnant?

iPhotograph2010
Neophyte
Member # 42423

Please help! I started bleeding agian today (most likely just spotting) after working out for a bit, but I'm still so concerned. Could I be pregnant??
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bleeding is not a common symptoms of pregnancy: it's a LACK of menstruation or other vaginal bleeding which is.

Please understand that pregnancy is ALWAYS a risk when we have the kinds of sex which can result in pregnancy. However, when we reduce those risks with reliable methods of birth control the risk decreases. With the pill, which you're using, that reduction is as high as over 99%, in typical use it's more like 92%, and if misused can be lower.

However, if you are still concerned about a possible pregnancy, then what you want to do to ease your mind is to take a pregnancy test, which you can do now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.