Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B
dushka
Neophyte
Member # 42880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dushka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been pretty bad at taking my BC pills this month (some missed, some late), so when I had sex we used a condom. It broke though so I decided to get Plan B (Wed morning). The pharmacist told me to take Plan B, stop taking my BC pills (yasmin) and then to start my BC again starting Sunday or the second day of my period. I took Plan B within 12 hours of the broken condom. What is the effectiveness of Plan B? Should I have continued with my regular BC pills?
Posts: 4 | From: AZ | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you missed more than three pills/took more than three late, then Plan B or no Plan B, the thing to do is always to stop taking the pills, then start again the coming Sunday. You'll also want to then use a backup method from the time you stopped through the first week of your new pack.

Plan B is anywhere from 75-89% effective: it's towards the higher end when taken sooner, towards the lower end when taken towards the end of the 120-hour window it can be used in.

Do you need some help per how to keep condoms from breaking?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dushka
Neophyte
Member # 42880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dushka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, this was the first time that has ever happened in four years, but thank you. it just came with bad timing the one month I haven't been good about taking the pill!

So essentially it is fine to have stopped taking the BC, it doesn't change the effectiveness of the Plan B whether I continued it or not?

Posts: 4 | From: AZ | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dushka
Neophyte
Member # 42880

Ok, I can better phrase this...since BC has hormones that can keep a fertilized egg from attaching, does it make sense to continue it even though I took Plan B? or does it not matter at all and I should just wait to see if i get my period?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should follow the instructions your doctor gave you, and stop taking them, starting again on Sunday.

If you don't restart, then you won't have any protection in your next cycle from your pills. If you don't restart on that schedule, you'll have to wait a longer time again until you go without a backup method.

Does that answer your question?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dushka
Neophyte
Member # 42880

Yes, thanks. Just wanted to make sure because it was a pharmacist and not the doctor who told me to do that. Thank you again!
Heather
Member # 3

If you check the insert that comes with your pill packs, you'll also find the information on what to do with missed/skipped pills.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.