Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » please help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please help
chickaroo10
Neophyte
Member # 38233

Icon 4 posted      Profile for chickaroo10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I'd like to think this question isn't JUST ANOTHER pregnancy scare. My boyfriend and I have been together about one year and four months or so. We used condoms for probably the first few months of our relationship, but for a long time now we've been (stupidly) using the "pull-out method". He is 24 and I am 21. Well two nights ago we had sex and he ended up ejaculating in me for the first time since we stopped using condoms. I am not on birth control. My period ended a little over a week and a half ago. Also, today I noticed thin, clear, egg white-like disharge. (Which I read in research could be cervical mucus showing I might possibly be ovulating.) The only thing is, I have diabetes, polycystic ovary syndrome, I smoke cigarettes, and I am overweight. Horrible, I know... I also know those all can affect fertility, but I'm not sure if I'm still at a huge risk for getting pregnant. I am a little nervous, but also excited, because I wouldn't mind having a baby now. Should I start taking folic acid or vitamins just in case? And should I quit smoking until I know if I'm pregnant or not? Please help me answer these questions, because I am stumped. Thanks!

--------------------
~Tanya~

Posts: 2 | From: Maine | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tanya, welcome to Scarleteen!

Without knowing exactly where you are in your cycle, it's tough to know how fertile you were at the time. If you plan on continuing with a possible pregnancy though, it would definitely be important to stop smoking and take pre-natal vitamins. A doctor would be able to direct you more in that. I would recommend trying to quit smoking as soon as possible though. Even if you're not pregnant, it will be a good habit to kick anyway.

Here are some things to consider though: does your boyfriend also want a child? Are you both ready to parent and invest lots of money and time to this? You may want to take a look at this: I Want It NOW!

In addition, have you and your boyfriend ever been tested for STIs? Unprotected sex presents a risk, so if you haven't already, this would definitely be something both of you should do.

If you're not certain about having a baby right now, you can still obtain emergency contraception. It can be effective up to 120 hours after the risk, but obviously the sooner you take it, the better.

If you decide not to take EC, you can take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after the risk, though if you test at 10 days, you should retest a few days later to make sure you got an accurate result. You can also go in to see a doctor for a blood test.

[ 04-29-2008, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Vero beat me to it [Smile] )

[ 04-29-2008, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: pyro_angel ]

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chickaroo10
Neophyte
Member # 38233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chickaroo10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. My boyfriend and I are both under the same understanding. We are adults and need to be responsible for our actions. Money would be tight for a while, but we could totally manage. And yes, he and I have both been tested for STIs, and we are both faithful to each other 100%.

My biggest concern about this situation, though, is the fact that I have diabetes and PCOS. Do they REALLY affect my ability to conceive by that much? And if I was to become pregnant, how soon before the signs and symptoms show up? Thanks for taking the time to answer!

--------------------
~Tanya~

Posts: 2 | From: Maine | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.