Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Paranoid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paranoid
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Tiffy09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good afternoon,

I am on a low dose COC, Junel Fe 1/20 for 5 months now. I take them everyday at 11pm, sometimes early at 9 and then stay consistent with that time.

Last pack, mid-cycle, I had a UTI and was prescribed Cipro for 3 days. I abstained for this time and 7 active pills after. I experience light breakthrough bleeding during antibiotics. After the 7 active pills I went right into Placebo's.

Will I be still protected on Placebo's, even if I experienced breakthrough bleeding?

I did have my period on the exact day I always do, however it was very scant. I tested neg for pregnancy, I was scared and wanted to make sure. On Sat & Sunday of placebo's I had intercourse using a back-up (condom).

My major concern is that I am protected on the pill incase something happened with the condom, which to my knowledge had no rips. I was so worreid that on Monday, approx. 40 hours after interoucrse on Sat. I took Plan B.

Do you think there was a possibility I ovulated and am at risk? I'm just confused and did everything I could to be safe. How many days do you think I should wait until I should test again?

Thanks so much for the advice/help.

[ 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Tiffy09 ]

Posts: 60 | From: school | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find anything saying that ciprofloxacin interacts with birth control pills, so as long as you've been taking your pills as directed, you'll still be protected. (Too, the EC you took would have taken care of any pregnancy risk, and I don't think you had one in the first place since your pill would have been okay and the condom didn't break.)

If you still wnat to retest, pregnancy tests are accurate 10-14 days after a risk, or on the first day of a missed period.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiffy09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the breakthrough bleeding, is that a sign of ineffectiveness or maybe because I was sick? It was very scant.

Thank you greatly for your help, I appreciate it so much.

Posts: 60 | From: school | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breakthrough bleeding does not indicate a change in the efficacy of your pills- it's simply something that can happen to anyone on birth control pills.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiffy09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

I need some further advice with this situation. It has been 16 days since day of worry and 14 days since taking Plan B. I tested with First Repsonse Early result the past few days, everything was negative. Is this too soon to test? I also have been experience some light spotting. Is this from the Plan B because I should have my period until another week, since I am on birth control. Thanks for the help!
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

P.S.

The bleeding has been brown and also resembles string/small clumps.

Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

any ideas?
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pregnancy test is accurate 10-14 days after the risk. It sounds as though you testes within the right time frame, so you can trust the result you got.

EC is such a huge dose of hormones that it can really mess with your body, and cause you to spot for quite awhile. It might be random spotting, you might spot steadily, and even your withdrawal bleed can be affected and not come on time, or come during active pills.

And the blood you are describing sounds normal as well.

So just know that because of the EC, you may experience wonky bleeding, for up to a few months after taking it. And with the negative pregnancy test, you aren't pregnant. So nothing to worry about. [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Thank you, very much for your time with this response. I greatly appreciate your insight!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.