Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » The Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill
fortunate_soul
Neophyte
Member # 36657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fortunate_soul         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick question, but urgent question.

I have been on the pill for about 4 years now. I missed taking a pack this past month, and have yet to get my period. I am 99% sure that I am not pregnant, as my partner and I have used condoms and made sure there was no leaking/breaking. Number 1 - I am starting to get worried because I should have gotten my period about 4 days ago. I read on your site that it can take a few months to come back due to the hormonal changes. But my concern is that I want to go BACK onto the pill, but everywhere is telling me to wait until I get my period, but I don't want to if it will take a few months.

Please...what do I do?! [Confused]

Posts: 1 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can technically start anytime you like if you want the most immediate protection. Waiting until a menstrual period is advised because it allows protection to take place much quicker, and reduces the chance of break-through bleeding/spotting.

If you do decide to start the pills immediately, you MUST continue to use a back-up method for at least the first 7 days -- the first full pack is advised. The pill doesn't get a head-start to inhibit follicular development like it does when you start during your period, so ovulating, and thus getting pregnant, is more likely.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.