Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Brown Discharge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brown Discharge
selbidercni
Neophyte
Member # 58290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selbidercni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the BC pill (ortho tri-cyclen lo) and I'm supposed to get my period next tuesday. However, yesterday and today I've noticed brown discharge (more so today than yesterday) like the kind I get the day before my period starts.

The only other time something like this happened to me was when I missed a pill and didn't realize it, but this time I haven't missed any. In fact, I've been extra careful to take them at the exact same time this month because last month I was on antibiotics.

I don't really think this could be pregnancy related (implatation bleeding) because my b/f always pulls out when we have sex and I've been on the pill for years. But I'm wondering what could be the cause of the discharge?

Like I said, I've never had breakthrough bleeding before and I haven't missed any pills, so what gives? Is this normal?

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but for the past 2 months, my periods have lasted an extra 2 days than before. On those last two days, I don't have regular bleeding, but usually brown spotting like the kind I have today.

Posts: 23 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you and your partner both up-to-date with your tests for STIs?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selbidercni
Neophyte
Member # 58290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selbidercni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had mine in January and everything was normal. He hasn't been tested in a while, but we've been together and monogamous for 3 years.

I don't really have easy access to a doctor b/c I have no insurance and the Planned Parenthood in my area does not work on a sliding scale and their rates are ridiculous, so I only see a gynecologist once a year for my pap and STI screenings.

Posts: 23 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selbidercni
Neophyte
Member # 58290

to be honest, I do think something like this (brown discharge a few days before my period should have started) has happened before, I've just been having some health concerns lately and I feel like I'm hypersensitive to any changes in my body.

I've been having a lot of anxiety lately about being or getting sick, and a lot of it is kind of irrational and it doesn't come from a logical place. I just find myself constantly worried that something could be wrong with me.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first up, sounds like he's overdue with his testing, so I'd suggest he get current with that.

It also sounds like you could really use some healthcare, and if you've been having some iffy symptoms and no care, it's no wonder you're worried.

have you looked into what might be available to you through public health in your county? If not, do you know where to find that information?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selbidercni
Neophyte
Member # 58290

I go to the health department for my Paps and STI checks, but that's all they do there. Anything else that isn't "family planning" related has to be through a different program that I don't qualify for because I "make too much money" (which by the way is not true AT ALL, but these federal programs are severely flawed when it comes to that.)

The health concerns I mentioned was that a few months ago I thought I had a UTI, I took two rounds of antibiotics and I had two urine tests and a urine culture done and they both came back normal. I did this through a general practitioner that sees low income patients, but it was still pretty expensive, which is why I can't just keep going back over and over again.

After the whole UTI thing, I've just been feeling weird. Some days are better than others, but a lot of the time I feel like I have to pee constantly even though I know I don't actually have to pee. For a while I was getting sharp pains on both sides of my uterus (or at least where I think my uterus is, lower abdominal area) but they stopped a few weeks ago. I feel like all these things might just be in my head because the tests came back normal and when the doctor did a general check he said I was in perfect health.

Could my anxiety over being sick be causing me to feel sick? I think the fact that I don't have easy access to healthcare, and my general financial troubles are stressing me out severely and may be contributing to all this.

I'm sorry this is so long, I've just been carrying this stuff around for months without telling anyone and it's so good to get it all out.

Heather
Member # 3

I absolutely understand (I haven't had insurance myself since '86 and have to pay for healthcare out of pocket, despite living around the poverty line for most of those years).

Anxiety certainly can create physical symptoms, so if you have had all these things checked out and then some, and everything has come back clear, chances are you're fine. If the discharge is a new symptom, though, you haven't had investigated, I can't account for that one.

I have to head out for the day, but if you are okay leaving me your zip code, when I'm back on Sunday I can dig around and see if I might be able to find any extra services for your physical or mental health for you if you like.

too, if nothing else, how about your partner actually get those STI tests? I ask because my main concern if everything else has checked out okay for you, but you are having funky discharges, especially bloody ones, would be infection. Him having one wouldn't be a given that you do, too, but if he's all clear and you haven't been with anyone else since your last tests, you could at least put STI concerns to bed.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

selbidercni
Neophyte
Member # 58290

That would be great, thanks a lot. My zip is 33029.

Thank you again, you guys are so helpful here.

Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing, and I'm sorry for the delay.

In the meantime, perhaps at least in the next day or so, you can take some extra care of yourself? Drink extra fluids, get extra rest if you can, and do something you know is likely to help reduce your stress a little bit?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.