Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » A Month Late

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Month Late
Relic
Neophyte
Member # 45640

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Relic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright so I'm seeing a common trend in this area but I have a similar concern.

I was supposed to get my period on about August 19th, but I didn't. So obviously I'm a bit concerned. My boyfriend bought me a pregnancy test about 5 days ago and I took it, it was negative but I still haven't had my period.

However, remember back I seem to have a similar problem almost every single August. At least in 2009 and 2010 I remember very distinctly not having one. Although I wasn't sexually active in 2009 so it wasn't a huge concern at that time.

So, I'm still frightened that I might be pregnant but I'm not sure what I should do. I read lots of stories about people who the pregnancy tests don't work for and it isn't until they are 4 months pregnant that the found out.

Another point is that I have had practically no symptoms. I've had an upset stomach but thats usually just from eating food too late at night. I haven't thrown up at all. Of course I have had a few headaches but I always have headaches.

I'm just wondering what I should do, should I wait, take another test? Is there a possibility that it is something else entirely?

Alright, thats all. Thanks for your help in advance.

Posts: 27 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many, many other possible reasons for a late or missed period. Check this out:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

If you took the test according to the instructions, you can trust that result. But by all means, if it would make you feel better, you can take a second one.

If you wind up missing two periods in a row, it's time to talk to a doctor about it, just to be safe. But one late or missed period isn't usually a big deal.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Relic
Neophyte
Member # 45640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Relic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I did miss my second one, and I took another pregnancy test just to be sure but it also said I wasn't pregnant.

Its weird cuz I have no pregnancy symptoms but also no pre-menstrual symptoms either.

Anyway I need to know what I should do. I'm 20 but I still live with my parents and, although they know I'm have sex with my boyfriend, I wouldn't want them to know if I was pregnant because I would want to get an abortion and I doubt they'd be cool with that.

Anyway, what should be my next step after missing two periods and taking two pregnancy tests (negative both)? Is there a place to get a more extensive pregnancy test without having to go through insurance?

Posts: 27 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another pregnancy test really isn't necessary at this point, given that you've already taken two so far after a missed period and gotten a negative result, but you can always ask a doctor to do another one if you'd like. Whether or not that is covered by your insurance depends on where you go; many clinics such as Planned Parenthood offer their services on a sliding scale, or if you have a family doctor or a GYN that you see, you can ask if they'll let you pay out of pocket.

Since you have now missed two periods, checking in with a doctor would be the next move: there are lots of reasons periods can go missing, but it's always smart to get checked out when it does happen.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.