Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » VERY VERY SCARED - could I have an STD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VERY VERY SCARED - could I have an STD?
NikNox
Neophyte
Member # 35521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NikNox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I stupidly had sex with my boyf of 3 years without a condom a week ago. He didn't come in me and I KNOW the risks of an STD are high and I KNOW that I should get an STD / HIV test but how long should I wait? And I'm seriously scared that he might have HIV or something equally awful as, despite knowing his sexual history, and him having always said that he is certain that he doesn't have an STD, I have never been able to convince him to get checked out. He always makes excuses (such as he doesn't have the time etc) and despite the fact that he is normally sensible, he seems to think that sex without a condom will heighten sensation for both of us (I find sex very painful every time and he prefers not to use condoms).

Now I'm VERY scared of having caught something horrible – and the STD infection risk is more scary than an unplanned pregnancy (even though I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant.) Last weekend, I did seem to think that I was pregnant as my breasts were tender and sensitive, and I felt sick on a couple of evenings but I don't think that the signs would appear that soon. However as I'm in the middle of my cycle and am normally pretty regular - usually at the beginning of each month - there is quite a risk that I could be pregnant. I'm just hoping and praying that my next period comes through ok... although the STD risk scares me much much more...

Help! What are my chances of either STD /pregnancy?? And why the hell was I SO stupid??!!

Posts: 1 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see some bigger problems here than your STD risk.

Any responsible partner would be more than willing to get tested for STD's if they gave a crapshoot about their partner's health; I'm going to be very blunt about that. We recommend testing at least once, and then again six months later before we'd suggest having sex without condoms (assuming, of course, there is some other type of hormonal birth control being used.) It worries me that your partner refuses to go with you and get tested, and with ridiculous reasons such as "I don't have time". If you have time to have sex, you have time to get tested.

Are condoms your only method of birth control? If so, you have a moderate risk of pregnancy/STD's. If you are on another form on birth control, like the pill or patch, you only have STD's to worry about.

YOU can always be proactive and get tested w/o your partner. But personally, I don't think it'd be out of line to put the stopper on sex until he agrees to go and get tested with you. This is a big deal for you, and for a partner not to be sensitive to this viable fear isn't OK.

By the way, why are still have intercourse if it causes you pain? Seriously, girl, stop! Sex does not have to be and SHOULD NOT be painful. You really should stop having intercourse if this continues to happen. Are you using extra lubricant when you have sex? Are you completely aroused before you attempt penetration? If the answer is yes to both of these, I'd suggest setting up an appointment with you OB/GYN and check things out.

Seriously, stand up for yourself. Your boyfriend's excuse for not getting tested is bull, and so is his belief that sex without condoms is more pleasurable. And if you are uncomfortable during sex, you need to voice that and stop.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.