Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » STD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STD?
Aimalicious
Activist
Member # 34100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i previously posted that i think i may have a yeast infection. But Could it be an STD?
my discharge is taking over my vagina. And its hard to clean it off. its all white and covers my inner labia and clitoris.
Im afraid to tell my mom cause she will think or find out that i am sexually active.
And im afraid to tell my boyfriend because i dont want to scare him off, or him to think something is wrong with him.
But i also want to protect him and not transfer anything to him

I want to be able to get rid of this at home with yogurt or something.
what can i do?
its really embarrassing =(

Posts: 144 | From: MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aimalicious
Activist
Member # 34100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh and i also forgot to mention that today i discovered what looks like a rash on my arm.
It looks like its on the inside because they're small purple and red dots...

Posts: 144 | From: MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honey you have GOT to get into a healthcare professional and get seen. At this point, there is no WAY a home remedy is going to treat it. As I mentioned to you, if it is a yeast infection, home remedies often only work preventatively, or with mild infections -- clearly, you are not dealing with a mild infection now. You need more than yogurt, especially since looking at your posts, it looks like you have likely had this infection for two months: if that is the case, the infection is likely beyond genital now, and you're gambling with your health.

You also absoutely should NOT be sexually active with your partner UNTIL you get this treated, because he can get a yeast infection from you. (Not to mention the fact that it will make things feel even worse for you -- it's hardly enjoyable to have sex when you're already raw and itchy, and then get even more so due to the sex. Plus, you've got to recognize that okaying a partner to dip into a body part that is clearly infected is just really uncool. This stuff, you don't keep secret from sex partners.)

Yes, if you are sexually active, this could also be an STI. Regardles, you NEED to get in and be seen. You can go to a clinic yourself, or you can tell your parent you need to see your doctor. You might also find it's time to be honest with your parent. But putting your health at risk because your mother may think you're sexually active or discover you are isn't a smart risk, not at all.

You have GOT to go take care of yourself, pronto.

Too? Genital infections happen. Sometimes they happen due to imbalances, sometimes basical bacteria, sometimes from parasites or viruses that are sexually transmitted. If your boyfriend isn't ready to deal with that reality or look at it objectively -- and you aren't ready to have that be something that is talked about between you -- then it's time to reassess your readiness to be having sex with a partner now, okay? And if you're with a partner who would be scared off because your body is being a human body, then you guys have a bigger problem to deal with than in infection: people being this intimate need to be able to deal with these things.

[ 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, here's the link for you for Planned Parenthood of MA: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ma/health-center-locations.htm

You could get looked at there, as well, without a parent or parental notification.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(I just now saw the pst about the rash.

PLEASE go see a doctor. PLEASE do not wait. There could be a lot of reasons for that rash, but understand that if this is a yeast infection, these infections sperad, and if that is what you have been walking around with for two months, despite our urging you to get looked at, that it is *possible* it is spreading throughout your body, as body bruises and rashes can be sympomatic of that.

I'm not trying to scare you -- well, maybe I am, because having an untreated infection for this long SHOULD be scary, as should not having it taken care of when you DO have access to healthcare -- but to be clear, from eMedicineHealth: "Systemic candidiasis is candidal infection throughout the body. This condition is rare. In systemic candidal disease, up to 75% of people may die. Even common mouth and vaginal yeast infections can cause critical illness and can be more resistant to normal treatment. This rash can manifest with bruises that can be felt. The bruises result from a reaction and response to Candida in blood vessels. Systemic yeast infections that return may be a sign of more serious diseases such as diabetes, leukemia, or AIDS."

Know, too, that your doctor will make clear to your mother -- if this is a big yeast infection, which still seems most likely -- that yeast infections aren't about sexual activity. Of course, your mother being female, she likely already knows that, anyway.

But please go to the doc, honey. C'mon.)

[ 09-13-2007, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Oy vey: I just remembered that you made a post about diabetes, and if it was okay not to treat/manage it? Were you asking about you?

If you were, please also know that yeast infections are also a common result of not managing diabetes properly/improper glucose levels.

And if you are diabeteic, this is yet one more reason that you really cannot wait another minute in getting looked at for this, okay?

[ 09-13-2007, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Aimalicious
Activist
Member # 34100

mmm idk what to do.
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweetie, Heather has told you multiple times now what you need to do - you need to get into a doctor ASAP; if this has been going on this long already, it's imperative that you go!

Heather has also offered you some various options, including the link to Planned Parenthood (where you could go without your mother knowing); also, your mother has more than likely had at least one yeast infection in her life, she'll probably know that women can, and commonly do, get yeast infections for reasons entirely unrelated to being sexually active. And at this point, your health and well being is going to be way, way more important than being embarrassed around your mom, yes?

So, get into a doctor, that's really what you need to do now. After that, what else could we help you with, if you're still feeling unsure?

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.