Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnant or Paranoid?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnant or Paranoid?
Pooky
Activist
Member # 20410

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Pooky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been dating a long time, and have only recently started having sex for the first time ever (we were both virgins and screened for STDs - and both of us were clear). When we started, we always used condoms and were extra safe and cautious, and two months ago I started using Yaz birth control pills just to help with cramps/PMS. This month (the second on BC), however, we had unprotected sex 3 or 4 times, with him ejaculating inside of me, in the middle of my cycle when I would be close to ovulating. I always took my pills within the same 2 hour interval of time every day and wasn't worried, assuming they were totally effective. I realized those occasions were mistakes and have used condoms ever since with him, combined with birth control, and today was my last pill of the cycle. However, I am becoming concerned, because last month I started bleeding 4 days BEFORE my last pill, which continued through the 4 day bleeding period between packs. Not only was it extremely long, but I also had cramps worse than usual and PMS like no other. I'm scheduled to start my period tomorrow and there hasn't been anything - no PMS, no cramps, no breakthrough bleeding, nothing. I know I should probably just wait until tomorrow to see the true verdict, but I just can't help being nervous about it. Even if someone is on Birth Control, could there still be pregnancy risk in unprotected sex when you just start out, or is that just me being paranoid?
Thanks for any comments/answers [Smile]

Posts: 48 | From: PA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always advise using back up for the first full cycle on birth control, but this was already your second cycle, so in theory you should be able to rely on the pill alone for full protection. And if you've been taking the pill as directed and on time, there is no reason to suspect that it didn't work.

Also, with the way the pill works, you're not actually ovulating. So there is no time when sex would be more or less risky.

Your last period being longer is nothing to worry about, given that it was your first on birth control, and our bodies often need a few months to get used to all the hormones. Cycle wierdness is pretty much a given if you're starting on hormonal birth control.

So, chances are your period will still show. And even if it doesn't, there's no reason to sweat it. However, if you don't get your withdrawal bleed and you're still worried, just go ahead and take a test before you start your next active pills. Peace of mind for ten bucks. [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pooky
Activist
Member # 20410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pooky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was supposed to get my period yesterday and still nothing...not the slightest spot of blood, absolutely no feeling of cramps, no sore boobs or anything indicating it might come soon :/ Should I just be patient?
Posts: 48 | From: PA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're worried, go ahead and take a test. There's no point in stressing if you don't have to. So if a test is going to help save your sanity, by all means, get one so that you'll know.

Sounds to me like you are still probably getting used to the pill. It's not unusual to have some cycle wonkiness/midcycle bleeding etc. for the first several months on the pill.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.