Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » birth control. Worried.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control. Worried.
whitetigerlily
Neophyte
Member # 29787

Icon 13 posted      Profile for whitetigerlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on tricyclen lo for 15 days now, and i started it on the first day of my last period, have been taking it between 8:50pm and 9:10pm every night, and i was told at my clinic that if i started it on that first day of my period, i would be protected right away. I had sex without a condom (there was no STD risk)on day 8. There was no ejaculation. I have been getting a lot of headaches, some nausea, really tender breasts, cramping, and my period lasted six days(longish for me) and i had a brown discharge for another four days after that. First question: Should i have been really safe against pregnancy by day 8 if i have been taking it like this? Second question: Most of these symptoms were mentioned on the birth control sheet (although they could also be pregnancy sypmtoms...) but it never said if they would go away. Will the side effects subside? How long will it take?
Posts: 3 | From: massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many pill manufactorers claim the pill to be effective as soon as seven days after the beginning of the cycle. You'll have to read your pill insert for more info on that.

We don't go by symptoms as an indicator of pregnancy or pregnancy risk ... b/c as you mention, they mimic other things too.

It is likely that you are just noticing the effects of the pill. Those should go away in the next few cycles.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.