Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Is this normal?! Tampon stuck...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this normal?! Tampon stuck...
bruised
Neophyte
Member # 11889

Icon 9 posted      Profile for bruised     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay wow this is my first time wearing one and I put it on 2-3 hours ago and I had to pee and the string got wet so I tried to pull it out and wow it won't, it hurts so bad help is this supossed to feel like that?? Should i yank it out? ohh.. its gonna hurt please respond ASAP!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda, as you know, this area is intended for staff and volunteer answers ONLY. Please abide by our rules here. It's especially important because in this area, correct information is important, and no one needs to "be examined and have a tampon removed." Inciting panic is totally not okay to do here, especially when it's clear you're guessing.

Removing a tampon sans string doesn't have to hurt AT ALL, bruised. And there's no need to yank. Just sit down on the toilet, use a little lubricant if you have it on your fingers, relax, and slide one finger behind the tamppon inside your vagina. You should be able to push/pull it out gently pretty easily is you're not panicking.

...which there is no need for right now. A tampon can be in safely for serveral hours. So, relax, and give it a shot. If you still have trouble, feel free to pop back in and ask for more help.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bruised,
Calm down, sweetie. You'll be okay, and you should be able to get the tampon out by yourself. Are you menstruating right now, and did you use a tampon absorbency appropriate for your flow right now? For example, if you use a super aborbency tampon when you have a light flow, a "dry" tampon will be harder to remove than a tampon that has some menstrual fluid in it.

I suggest going into the bathroom and getting into the same position that you inserted the tampon, or a position where your legs are apart. For example, try putting one leg on the toilet, or sitting on the floor with your legs spread. Yeah, it may look funny, but you'll be by yourself. Take some deep breaths. It's going to be okay and nothing is going to get stuck. Relax, take a deep breath in, breath out, and pull on the base of the string. If you feel yourself clenching up, stop pulling, take another breath, breathe out, and try again.

It'll be okay, gal, I'm sure you'll be fine in a couple minutes.

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 03-29-2003).]

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.