Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » new here n need help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new here n need help!
melly
Neophyte
Member # 12038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i woke up this morning with alot of watery discharge.. i had sex a week n a half ago and if i was to be pregnant no ovulation would have occured right? im very scared my friends told me if i have alot of discharge it would be my ovulation period and not to worry about pregnany but im scared..i wouldnt have this discharge is i was only a week pregnant would i?!? please help!
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty useless to rely on "signs" like discharge to determine whether or not you're pregnant -- women who are pregnant also have vaginal discharge.

Unless you've already missed your period, a pregnancy test won't be effective for another few days to a week. (They can be taken as soon as you miss your period, or 10-14 days after an incident where you think you might have risk for pregnancy.)

If you had a pregnancy risk, then you also had an STD risk, so it's important for your long-term health that you and your partner get screened for STDs as well.

Since you're new here, why don't you check out some of these articles, which answer a lot of your questions about pregnancy, ovulation, discharge, and other things:

Where DID I Come From? – Human Reproduction
Am I pregnant?)
What's The Risk? - Five Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment Flow Charts
Honorably discharged – A Guide to your Vaginal secretions

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melly
Neophyte
Member # 12038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok thanks... but one more question...if i had sex and then ovulated [which i know you really cant calculate]that would mean i wasnt pregnant because the egg was released and not fertilized..ovulation wouldnt occur if it was realeased and fertilized right?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you become pregnant, you will not ovulate your next cycle.

But bear in mind a couple of things, one of which you already know. For starters, you can't tell when you ovulate with any accuracy unless you've been regular for a few years AND charting your cervical mucus and basal temps for a year or so (so yes, you can actually calculate that to a certain degree, but it takes some doing). Secondly, conception is rarely instantaneous, and sperm can live in the vagina for as long as seven days.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melly
Neophyte
Member # 12038

so if i had sex the 19th when i ended my period on the 15th and i had alot of water discharge that can be either?... im also getting kinda cramps but that can be towards anything thursday would be 14 days before i was expecting my period and time i was supposed ovulate and i got alot of watery discharge that day but ur saying i can still get pregnant?..

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have exceptionally long cycles (as in well over 30 days) I'm guessing you're mis-guessing when you ovulate, as what you're saying with the days here, on average, would mean that you had intercourse just a couple days before ovulation would occur (again, on a very general average).

Again, just so you understand: the egg that would be released from last month would not be so until your NEXT period. Conception is not instant. If, for example, I have unprotected intercourse today, and ovulate four days from now, what I'd actually be doing is picking the MOST likely time to become pregnant, because the sperm can hang around in my vagina those four days until ovulation occurs. Do also understand that it is simply MOST likely to become pregnant around ovulation -- you can still become pregnant at other times in your cycle.

In other words, yes you well could have become pregnant. In fact, the chances are pretty darned good, love.

So, I'd advise that should your next period be late, you take a pregnancy test ASAP.

I'd also suggest that you let go of thinking about ovulation in the way you and your friends are, because it's just not correct. Unless you have had regular cycles for a couple years AND have been charting your cervical mucus and basal temps daily for a good long time, you have no even remotely accurate way of knowing when you ovulate before the fact. After the fact, once your periods have regulated, you can count backwards from the first day of your period 14 days and figure you ovulated around then. But that doesn't mean the same will be so next month AND that doesn't mean much at all if you've only had your period for a couple of years, as young womens cycles tend to be unpredictable.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melly
Neophyte
Member # 12038

o god im really really scared now... i thought using protection would decrease my risk but then there was wet stuff on his penis when i put it on and im scared it might have gotten in or gotten outside the condom...im really scared now im too scared to eat and any weird feeling in my body makes me even more scared
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered that you may not be ready for sex? Why not read through the Readiness Checklist and think things over.

In the meantime, take the advice given to you earlier in the thread. Take a pregnancy test and both you and your partner get screened for STD/STIs.

------------------
The house smelled musty and damp, and a little sweet, as if it were haunted by the ghosts of long-dead cookies.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melly
Neophyte
Member # 12038

ok thanks..i just hope its not too late

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.