Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Emergency Contraception or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emergency Contraception or not?
23Andrea23
Neophyte
Member # 11747

Icon 5 posted      Profile for 23Andrea23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had sex for the second time this Sunday and it was unprotected. I told myself I would never do that and I am 99% sure he has no STDs because he got checked a month ago and hasn't had any other partners. My worry here is pregnancy. I did not know that the chances were this great that you could get pregnant from precum because I had heard that the sperm in precum was immobile.(he did not cum) My question is whether or not I should go to planned parenthood and get emergency contraception. Today is the last day I can do it because it will be over 72 hours after 8 o clock. Please get back to me! Abortion is not an option here and I do not get my period for another week or two so I will not know for sure. What do you have to do to get emergency contraception at a planned parenthood? Can you just get it or do you need an exam etc? There is no way I could be pregnant before this so I would not need a pregnancy test. Thank you for listening! This is driving me crazy.

~Andrea

Posts: 1 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do have a moderate to high risk of pregnancy.

Yes, you can indeed still get emergency contraception. You can get it at Planned Parenthood - you'll just need to explain your situation to them and tell them that you would like it.

You can also find other places to get emergency contraception.

These links may be helpful to you:
Emergency Contraception http://ec.princeton.edu/

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a reminder: the longer you wait to get EC, within that 72 hours, the less likely it will be effective.

So, hopefully you know better than to ever let this happen intentionally again, but should you have a birth control failure or such in the future, don't wait to get EC. You want to get it as soon as you possibly can.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.