Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » bleeding due to missed pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bleeding due to missed pills
prettykitty
Neophyte
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prettykitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I missed two pills the other day, so i took two on the day i remembered and two on the next day as directed. i've have to do this once before, and last time it produced a very small amount of spotting for a few hours, which i know is normal. however, i am bleeding much more this time and am wondering if i need to be concerned. i've been having a light flow (having to change my pantyliner every 5 or so hours) for the last 3 days. this seems like a long time to be having such a reaction. is it normal? THANKS!
Posts: 8 | From: sac, ca, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you take your pills correctly, what you get each month isn't actually a period -- it's withdrawal bleed that occurs from you not having the hormones from the pills in your body for that week.

Sounds like your body basically reacyed as it would on your placebo cycle. That given, consider the rest of this month's pill cycle INEFFECTIVE as birth control and act accordingly.

I'd also say that it sounds to me like your body is pretty sensitive to the hormones in terms of reacting to them and their removal so it is probably wise you do NOT ever miss pills in this fashion, even with the make-up as instructed. If you're having a really hard time taking them daily, it might be wisest to consider another hormonal method like depo-provera or ortho-evra which doesn't require remembering a dose every day.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettykitty
Neophyte
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prettykitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, your advice is very helpful. However, now i have an additional question as to how to 'act accordingly'. I am a sunday starter, and just started week 3. what should i do? continue the pack and the placebos and start a new pack as usual (using condoms till then of course) or, should i start taking the next pack next week and skip the placebos? or...? what do you suggest?
Thanks!

Posts: 8 | From: sac, ca, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this point, I'd just continue as usual, though I think you can likely expect that you may not have your usual bleeding come the placebos, so don't be surprised if it's more scanty, or doesn't show up at all.

Byt the end of next cycle, you should be back to normal so long as you take all your pills in that cycle on schedule.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.