Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » I need help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need help
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one ansewered my posts and its really important to me. I need to know before its too late. I decided to just go ahead and try to find a clinic in my area and ask them whether or not the emergency contraceptive is nessasary...however i dont know where it is. Ive looked online at the health clincs in my area, but there are so many diffrent ones i dont know which one i am suppose to call, or go to. I live in Hanford...can anyone help me out?...
Or if any one can answer my last posts id really appreciate it.

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's important to be patient and wait for answers ... before making three posts on the same topic, in two different forums. I understand this is an issue for you, but this site is run on a volunteer basis ... Meaning we're doing this out of the goodness of our hearts. Patience is a virtue

Now onto your question ... I think you and your boyfriend are right to be worried about it. I've heard that the pill can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months to take affect. My suggestion to you now would be to get to a clinic for emergency contraception.

You can find a planned parenthood near you here

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to reinforce what Smurf said...

We generally recommend waiting at least one full month before counting on your birth control pills (or longer). While some pill inserts may say one week, it's always best to be safe and give yourself at least a month. Some people's bodies will adapt to the hormones faster than others will. Additionally, sometimes starting the pill can cause nausea or vomiting or other side effects that might jepordize its effectiveness.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing, though. The clinician might decide since you are already on the pill, that you should not be prescribed emergency contraception. In that case, the concern would be that EC hormones would be redundant, or even interfere, with your regular pills. I had this problem once -- i just started on the Pill (two days), and the condom failed. The nurse did prescribe EC for me, but would not have if I had been on the Pill longer than that. Anyway, your best bet is to see the doctor, nurse practitioner, or clinician and go with what he/she decides will work for you.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blond ambition:
I live in Hanford.

Not the most precise locator, you know. The US is a pretty big place! There are seven incorporated towns and townships named Hanford in the United States, but one of them happens to be in California. And, as if by magic, I just happen to be reasonably familiar with that area.

So, assuming you live in the one in California, you've got a few options. If you cannot find anything in Hanford (which wouldn't be too surprising, really), try Lemoore and go enjoy life with the Navy brats out there. If this fails you, hitch a ride on down to Corcoran, or east to Tulare. If this fails you, go into Visalia. Remember the old adage, "When all else fails, try Visalia." It's like the Magic Kingdom, but with more manure.

So best of luck to you, tiger. You've been given some good advice on what course to take, and hopefully (if you're a CA resident!) this will give you some advise on which direction to head in. Take care!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PSOM

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you were quite right...i know there is an actual clinic or maybe even two in my town, that all the teens go to fo help with this stuff, and everythings free, but looking up health clinincs showed so many options i had no idea which one was the one to call or go to...
would this fall under "emergency medicine", along with surgeries, dietary and other primary cares, or "just primary cares"... And i know where my mothers gyno place is and where i got the pills, but i donno if i could go in there and ask the lady at the front desk if she knows anything about emergency contreception...hopefully i will get in contact with a friend tomorrow for some help. How long after can it be taken?, this incident happened sunday night and it is now tuesday morning..
thanxs for all the advice.

[This message has been edited by blond ambition (edited 12-10-2002).]

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a 72 hour window or three days in which to take emergency contraception. The sooner you take it the more likely it is to be effective.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 9 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the doctor alone today on a completly unrelated subject, and while i was there i asked the assistant where the health clinic i could go to was. She gave me the adress and phone number, however i still didnt find it, and when i called they just directed me to a women, and i got her answering machine. So now i dont know what to do.
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you do exactly as BruinDan suggested. Also try http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ZIP.HTM to find the nearest Planned Parenthood.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 7 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for all your help...
I finally got in touch with the clinic and they told me to come in tomorow morning somewhere around 8 to 10 for emergency contreceptive...
i will just have to come up with an exuse as to why i need the car, and hope i can find the right building.
Thanxs again

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.