Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Gonorrhea???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gonorrhea???
missyj
Activist
Member # 10430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please Help!!
I had sex for the first time and then again about 2 days after that. I used a condom, birth control and a spermicide both times. My bf and I are each others first, and we have been sexually active (not intercourse) for months now. Sex was about a week ago. Just a day or so ago it started to really hurt to pee and I had to pee all the time. I read in a medical journal that spermicides can cause bladder infections, so I thought that that might have been the problem. I also noticed a bit of blood when I go to the bathroom or sometimes just randomly through the day. I also recently started the pill, and spotting is often an effect of that. But then I noticed some yellowish and sometimes brownish discharge, it wasnt very much and I have had similar stuff before. But this really bothered me. It made me think that I could have gonorrhea, but me and bf have never been with anyone else, so if its only transmitted by sexual activity is it possible that I could have it? I am most definately seeing a doctor ASAP - but to put my mind at ease, can anyone help me out? or at least tell me about gonorrhea so i have a better idea.
Thank You soo much.

Posts: 153 | From: Oakville, Ontario. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is definitely possible that you or your boyfriend could have an STI or STD, even if neither of you have been with other people. They're only called "sexually transmitted" because that's the way they're OFTEN transmitted - you can get them in other ways, too.

However, because you used a condom, there is less of a chance that you are contracting a STD/STI (if you used the condom correctly and from the beginning to end of sexual activity). You may indeed be allergic/reacting to the spermicide. And yes, you could have a UTI.

BUT we don't know. And in either case, you need to get checked out and treated by a doctor, so make an appointment as soon as possible so that you can get appropriate treatment.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missyj
Activist
Member # 10430

Icon 11 posted      Profile for missyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we used a condom both times, the ENTIRE time: clothes off, condom on.
Could you give me somekind of idea as to the chances to what I have?
I probably won't be able to see a doctor until this saturday or next monday, do you think there will be serious problems by waiting that long?

------------------
Love is natural, and everything that goes with it. ;)

Posts: 153 | From: Oakville, Ontario. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one is going to be able to give percentages or chances on STD or STI risks, because no one can know the whole of you and your partners life history and everything you may or many not have been exposed to.

Safer sex practices for all sexual activities (not just intercourse) greatly reduce your risk of transmitting or contracting STDs and STIs. Not having other partners does also reduce your risk for many STDs and STIs. And really, that's as good as it gets in giving "chances" with any degree of accuracy.

See your doctor/GYN ASAP. If you can't get in utnil saturday, then you can't. But abnormal bleeding and dicharge that have been going on for a while as well as what sounds like a UTI are reasons to get in there ASAP.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.