Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Peace of Mind....PLEASE! Pregnant or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Peace of Mind....PLEASE! Pregnant or not?
PoeticAspirations
Neophyte
Member # 109877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoeticAspirations     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the past 8 or 9 months, my boyfriend and I have been dry humping (in some cases with him without clothes and me with always at least two layers). Since that began, I've had a never-ending struggle with believing I'm pregnant. This time is no different.

The last "risk" I had was about two to three weeks ago. On the 25th of May, I had my period - exactly on time, except kind of unusual in flow with heaviness the first day, light the second, moderate the third, and brown the fourth and fifth. Granted, this may have just been an irregular period so I took a test to ease my concerns even further and it came back negative.

With worries still circulating through my head, though I decided to take a couple other tests, which were today and yesterday. Both show a clearly visible negative line, however I noticed there was also very faintly (as in hardly even visible) another second line - I could only see it (still barely) while holding it up to a light. I'm not sure whether this line was a result of the tests "buffering" or if it's actually meant to be there. All this time, I've been trying to convince myself I can't get pregnant through dry-humping and now this happens. I don't know what to believe.

Also, it's nearly two weeks before my period is supposed to start again, and my boobs are already hurting and I'm feeling tired and somewhat nauseous. What is going on? I feel like I'm going crazy....please help!

Posts: 8 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi PoeticAspirations. Have you seen our article about pregnancy tests? If you haven't here it is:
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Usually, pregnancy tests say on the instructions that you should keep the stick flat when you look at your results. So holding it up to the light and seeing a very faint line isn't really a result you can rely on.

Clearly, you're having a lot of anxiety around this and it's been pretty constant for you. Do you have anxiety around anything else in life, or just sexual activity? It might be a good idea to consider holding off on any sexual activity right now since it seems to cause you so much stress.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoeticAspirations
Neophyte
Member # 109877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoeticAspirations     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have read the article. With pregnancy test, I allowed it to lay flat for the designated amount of time, then I began to notice what was a very faint second line (like I said, barely visible), so I held it up to the light to see if I could see it more clearly.

I do have anxiety in other areas, but as of lately, it has persisted mostly when it comes to engaging in sexual activities. I'm not sure if I can rely on the test, if the line is actually something I need to worry about, or if I'm just driving myself crazy and couldn't at all be pregnant.

Posts: 8 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoeticAspirations
Neophyte
Member # 109877

Is this a legitimate pregnancy scare or not?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the information you need is provided in this link, and I suggest you read all of the articles as they will clear up a lot of stuff for you:
This Is Your Pregnancy Scare Answer

With pregnancy tests, a line that is pretty much not-there-at-all is probably... not there. If you're really not sure about it, talk to a doctor or a pharmacist about it and they would be able to help you figure it out.

So, since you have anxiety in other areas too, I would really suggest looking into perhaps getting some mental health care to help you learn to handle anxiety and work on skills to keep it at bay so you don't keep getting this stressed out about things. Your doctor would very likely be able to refer you to a counsellor, or there would likely be a school counsellor you could talk to or ask for a referral from, too. Basically, with anxiety like this, continuing to focus energy and thought on the scares themselves is going to make you feel worse. The only way to stop yourself from having scares when you have issues with anxiety, is to tackle the feelings of anxiety themselves.

And again, since it's clearly causing you a lot of anxiety, have you thought about taking sexual activities off the table until you've got a better handle on this anxiety?

[ 06-11-2014, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.