Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » sexuality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sexuality
audri
Neophyte
Member # 110483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello I am Audri I am currently 20 going to turn 21 soon.
Well I don't know where to start on this but hopefully you understand.
Recently I have been questioning my sexuality more than usual and I really don't know what I am. I grew up thinking I was straight imagining a whole love story for myself but then things changed. You see as a teenager I was exposed to erotica and well began to get turned on by lesbian action. Then I began to have physical attractions toward women. Even though I have never been in a relationship with a girl I have had moments in which I want to kiss a girl. Basically I just want to know if this physical attraction for women can go any further see if this means I am bi or gay. Sometimes I feel like I guess disgusted because I watch erotica and it exposed to something that was unexpected. Sometimes I think that if I would have never been exposed to erotica at one point I would be truly straight and find guys more attractive than woman. I guess my question is can erotica I guess change your sexuality/who you are attracted to? Does me finding women attractive and wanting to get more intimate with them mean I am gay/bi
FYI I have questioned my sexuality since I was around 13 or 14.

--------------------
aubri

Posts: 1 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards, Audri.

Looking at or watching erotica - or anything else - can't change someone's orientation.

Sometimes, erotica can be a part of someone discovering what they do and don't like, what they might or might not be interested in. What people like watching and what they like doing are also often not exactly the same things, as they're different aspects of a person's sexual self.

Orientation is a very varied and very personal thing, so you get to define your own orientation. Finding some women attractive and wanting to be intimate with them is a thing that suggests a woman might be lesbian or bi, yes, but it's by no means a certainty. Do you feel like gay/lesbian or bi might fit you?

It can be very confusing if we're brought up in a straight-focused society and the people around us, and maybe ourselves, assume we're straight, and then we're not sure if that really fits us or not. It's ok if it takes some time to figure it out.

If you haven't already seen these pieces on our main site, they might help you out a little with thinking about this:

The Rainbow Connection: Orientation for Everyone
[edit - previously wrong link now fixed]

Q is for Questioning

[ 06-03-2014, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhImpecuniousOne
Activist
Member # 110155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OhImpecuniousOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for butting in in the expert advice forum, I just wanted to correct that link: The Rainbow Connection: Orientation for Everyone
Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.