Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » bcp and stomach bug/stomach problems?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bcp and stomach bug/stomach problems?
jeje23
Neophyte
Member # 95574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeje23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello I was just wondering if I could get some input on here. I feel my google searching wasnt giving me clear answers..

My question is what kind of stomach issues affect the effectiveness of bcp? I know if you vomit shortly after taking the pill theres a chance it didnt absorb. But what about diarrhea? The internet has told me both yes its a problem and no don't worry about it. what if you have liquid stool an hour after taking the pill? And what if you have a stomach bug? Does the virus in your system itself affect the pill?

I'm pretty sure i had a bug last week, but i only had severe diarrhea for about 1 hour which was about 7 hours before it was time to take my pill and then the next few days my stomach was very off and i was painfully bloated. does having a stomach bug in general affect this?

i still took my pill on time but i'm not sure if theres cause for concern of the effectiveness of my pill. pretty much what stomach issues will cause the pill to be ineffective against pregnancy

thanks so much for any info!

[ 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: jeje23 ]

Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like any medication, when you have a question or concern with the pill, especially any possible interaction, your pharmacist or pharmacy is the best person or place to call first: not Google, not us, either.

It's a medication: they're the folks who have all the information about any prescription you have filled with them at their fingertips, and follow-ups like this are part of their job. [Smile]

So, that really is who to call first, or after you read this. Always.

Diarrhea, medically, is a term used to describe loose or liquid stools over a period of time -- usually at least a day or more -- not a one-time loose stool. A one-time loose stool is unlikely to pose any issue.

Illnesses, in general, and being ill, can potentially change things with absorption of the pill, but they usually will not. This is really one of those things where if someone isn't comfortable with the typical use effectiveness rate of the pill (that's the rate that leaves room for things like illness), then in general, they just want to always use a backup method, like condoms.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.