Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Late pill and spotting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late pill and spotting
thebelljar
Neophyte
Member # 96482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thebelljar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Context: I'm in a long distance relationship due to my boyfriend and I attending different universities. We're on Easter break now and have hooked up around 3 times this week. I've been experiencing discomfort around my vulva for the last couple of days. I don't usually have this when I'm alone and I usually put it down to friction or something due to being more sexually active and someone else interacting with my vagina.

Anyway. Yesterday I took my combined contraceptive pill around 12 hours late (at uni I take it at 7am; I've been taking it at 12pm recently as I'm on break but yesterday I took it at 12 midnight). I panicked, as the previous day I had had sex with my boyfriend, but we used a condom so it was likely fine.

Today, my underwear was extremely wet with discharge (I was playing board games with his family and their friends so I'm taking arousal completely off the table) and I just used the bathroom to find blood on my tissue.

I have no idea if any of these things are related, but the combination of irritation to my vagina, spotting and taking my pill so late have me concerned. Please help me shed some light on this situation!

Thank you.

[ 04-12-2014, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: thebelljar ]

Posts: 9 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spotting can be due to taking the pill so late. However, the discomfort and unusual discharge could be a sign of an infection. Have you taken a look at this article: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

If this doesn't go away in a day or so, you'll want to see a doctor to rule out an infection.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebelljar
Neophyte
Member # 96482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thebelljar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was what I suspected, and (knock on wood) it only occurred once, very lightly, so I'm hoping it was a one off.

I've had similar irritations before and it usually goes away by itself, it's just worrying. The discharge was watery I think, is this indicative of any infections?

I have to re-register at my local GP as I've been away for so long, but I have to go anyway to discuss my allergy medication so if I'm still worried when I go for that I'll bring it up.

Speaking of allergy medication, I do wonder if the irritation could be due to me taking bubble baths instead of showers now I'm at home. Does this sound likely?

Thanks.

Posts: 9 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the discomfort continues for more than a couple of days, it would certainly be a good idea discuss it with a doctor.

Using different hygiene products can cause some irritation, especially if you know yourself to be sensitive to that kind of thing. So, for sure, going back to your old routine may also make a difference.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebelljar
Neophyte
Member # 96482

Sorry to ask more questions, but I just noticed more watery discharge and a small smear of brown discharge in my underwear and now I'm worried again. I googled this and it's come up with uterine cancer and things to do with pregnancy and I've got myself into a panicked state (I suffer from anxiety and depression so this was likely) but I'm finding it hard to calm down and think rationally about this. Please help?

But yeah I'm hoping the irritation is down to the soap in my bath foam.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truly, the best thing it sounds like you can do for yourself is to go see a healthcare provider. We cannot know what is going on with you or what this is all about: but a healthcare provider can do an exam and tests to do that.

[ 04-13-2014, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebelljar
Neophyte
Member # 96482

Thank you for your insight. I'm sad that you can't help more but I understand. I'm sad more so that I have to live in this state of panic until I can see a doctor (as I don't re-register until tomorrow and then still have to wait for an appointment). But thanks.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sounds like maybe then when you do get yourself back in the system, talking to someone about help with panics is in the works, too?

And in the meantime, perhaps it's time to reevaluate how you feel about being sexual with a partner? maybe you need to take any sex off the table for a while if it is triggering panic for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebelljar
Neophyte
Member # 96482

Well, I'm on the NHS waiting list for counselling back at University. I'm hoping they'll have a spot for me in the next month. I was also prescribed beta blockers by my home doctor in December but my uni doctor took me off them because I have asthma (so my issues haha), so I'm currently down to 1 every other day whereas I was taking 3 a day when I started them. Trying to wean off to reduce side effects.

Sorry, can you explain your second point please? I understand that you're telling me to consider stopping sexual activity with my boyfriend, but in which sense are you insinuating that it causes panic? As in any potential side effects of the sex?

Heather
Member # 3

You seem to be saying, if I have this right, that you engaged in sex and are now panicking as a result. If I misunderstood you, my apologies.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

thebelljar
Neophyte
Member # 96482

Well, I wasn't really linking the sex to anything. I was trying to give as much information as I could, which included me having sex. But I was worried about the discharge, spotting, irritation and missing my pills as separate to the sex. It might have been a factor which is why I mentioned it, but I wasn't exactly worried about it resulting in any of those things, more the things themselves as a whole. Does that make sense?
Heather
Member # 3

Gotcha. Thus why I just suggested you think about it! [Smile]

Btw, can you not get into a GUM clinic or Brook clinic while you are waiting to get all the way back in the system? Obviously, if you don't have to wait and suffer, that would be the ideal.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

thebelljar
Neophyte
Member # 96482

Right, I'll talk to my boyfriend about it when I get the chance.

And I never considered that. I might be able to if I can find any local. I'll talk to my mom about it tomorrow and see what she thinks. I'd have talked to her tonight but she has work in the morning and I didn't want to get her out of bed or talk about it in front of my dad.

Thanks for your help, I'll probably be back if any new situation arises!

Heather
Member # 3

I'd check out Brook: you can probably get seen in one of their clinics ASAP.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be about to butt in and create muddle around something that is fine, and if that's the case, I apologise! However, I really want to check something to make sure your healthcare isn't about to get really tangled and messed up.

You said you were going to re-register with your home GP. You also said you see a doctor when you're at university and that you're on an NHS waiting list there. Perhaps there is a system in your area for students so that you can be registered both in your university area and your home area? I hope so; that would be much more sensible for all students. However, usually in the UK, people can only be registered with ONE GP practice; registering at a new one (or in this case, re-registering with your old home one) will automatically revoke your registration at any other practice. That means that you would no longer be able to see the doctor in your university area for routine (eg. non-emergency) treatment or medical care, and you will not be able to receive most routine NHS care or be on NHS waiting lists there. I'm concerned that re-registering with your home area GP will mean that a) your university-area doctor is no longer your doctor, and that is not what you wanted or intended, and b) you're going to be bumped off the waiting list, lose the right to access NHS counselling in your uni area, and have to start again at the beginning of a waiting list whenever you get this all ironed out.

Please check asap with your home practice and your uni practice that these things are not going to happen! (Unless there is something I am not aware of - which there may be - I think these things ARE going to happen.)

If you find out that re-registering with your home area practice would be a problem, you can just ask them to bin your registration. I don't think the NHS moves That fast [Smile] You can also still get healthcare in your home area without being registered. Just explain to the practice that you're registered at uni and you need healthcare before you go back there, and they'll make the admin arrangements so they can see you as a visiting patient. It's pretty simple. Alternatively, as Heather said, you can go to a GUM or Sexual Health clinic anywhere and it doesn't matter where your registered GP is, or you can go to a Brook clinic.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.