Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy test
Grizzcub55
Neophyte
Member # 109770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizzcub55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a pregnancy test is taken 5 weeks after sexual contact will it be accurate?
Posts: 26 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At 5 weeks after a risk, a test will be accurate, yes. However, please do consult the instructiosn of the test you get to make sure you take it correctly.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but if you have a question about a specific test you can always consult the instructions that come with it.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizzcub55
Neophyte
Member # 109770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizzcub55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also in the scenarios that you guys explains risks and non risks, not to be rude, but what makes you so sure in these situations the level of risk present?
Posts: 26 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizzcub55
Neophyte
Member # 109770

That is for pregnancy
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes us sure is that medical science has spent a lot of time understanding pregnancy and how it happens. We update our articles on this site whenever new information comes to light, so as different kinds of contraception come to market, or new information on how certain STIs are transmitted is released, we will adjust our info to match that.

If we knew of instances when, say, oral sex or dry humping had caused pregnancy, we'd update our information to reflect that.

I know we gave you this link before, but if you haven't read it yet I think it will help you understand how pregnancy can happen, and why it can't happen from kinds of sex that don't involve direct genital contact.
Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizzcub55
Neophyte
Member # 109770

So in other words a pregnancy from let's say dry humping has not occurred?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Correct. I think the more important thing to focus here is on understanding why it simply can not occur, which that article will help you with.
Grizzcub55
Neophyte
Member # 109770

Thanks so much guys. Put my mind to rest! One last question. I see these articles on how women won't get a positive on a home pregnancy test until 3 months pregnant so what causes that and is it common?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where you are seeing these articles, but we certainly cannot tell you why people are writing that. There is a lot of incorrect information on the internet. If you want some more information on pregnancy tests, you can look at this article: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.