Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » No sex, no period, negative pregnancy test, now what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No sex, no period, negative pregnancy test, now what?
solidrock222
Neophyte
Member # 109576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solidrock222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last period started February 17 and ended February 22. Never had sex from Feb 22 up to present. Just got fingered by another girl. Prior to my last period, I took emergency contraception pills.

So I was expecting my period on March 17 but until now, it hasn't arrived. Yesterday, March 21, I took a pregnancy test. It was negative. This morning, I took another on my first pee. It was negative again. I'm worried that the results could be a false negative. Also, I've been experiencing lower abdominal cramps for the past three days.

What could this be? Should I just wait for my period to come or should I consult a doctor?

Any immediate response will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Posts: 7 | From: PH | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How regular are your periods usually? A few days variation isn't really that unusual. And in your case, you could also still be irregular due to the EC, which can sometimes affect menstrual cycles for a few months.

So, I'd not be concerned about this late period, especially since you know that you are not pregnant.

However, if these cramps are unusual for you and the pain is affecting your life, it would not be a bad idea to call your doctor to ask if you should come in.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solidrock222
Neophyte
Member # 109576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solidrock222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Joey.

My period before I took ECP's usually starts on the third week of the month (21st-25th day). When I started taking those pills, it now starts a week earlier.

I have a few questions though. When do you consider a menstrual period irregular? Also, how could I be assured that the pregnancy tests I took were not actually showing a false negative result?

LOL sorry for being paranoid. I've been googling the stuff happening to me lately but the bottomline of everything that I read said that just because I'm not experiencing this or that doesn't mean I'm not pregnant. Hahahaha! It sucks to be me, right?

By the way, I visited the university doctor yesterday a few hours after posting here because I really can't tolerate the pain anymore. It's starting to feel like someone's trying to slice my tummy :-( I even told her that I have a bad feeling that I might be pregnant. She just laughed and told me that what I'm experiencing are not pregnancy symptoms but acute gastritis symptoms [abdominal cramping, bloatedness, flatulence, appetite loss]. But when I asked her what's the cause of the pain in my lower abdomen, she can't answer. She just told me to wait for two weeks and if my period still doesn't come in two weeks, I should visit her again. She prescribed me two medicines: Omeprazole and Domperidone.

I kind of felt relieved after consulting her but I'm still wondering why my lower abdomen hurts. OMG what's this? I won't calm down until someone explains to me why it's happening :-(

Sorry for the reaaaaally long post. I hope you'd still post a reply. Thank you so much :-)

Posts: 7 | From: PH | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what you mean when you say "when I started taking those pills" - emergency contraception is a one-time dosis. Do you mean to say that you have started taking hormonal birth control?

Either way, both taking EC and starting hormonal birth control can lead to irregular bleeding.

It is really unlikely that two tests in a row would show you a false result. Pregnancy tests are very accurate when taking as directed. Also, if you have not had sex since your last period, you have also not had a pregnancy risk.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solidrock222
Neophyte
Member # 109576

Sorry to confuse you. What I meant was ever since the first time I took an emergency contraception, my period has always messed up. It varies. It sometimes happens on the second week. But sometimes, it also happens on the third week.

Anyway, I started bleeding yesterday morning. But this time, after like a bit over 12 hours, the bleeding stopped. Now, what's happening?

I googled that it might be a symptom of ectopic pregnancy but I'd like to believe that I'm not pregnant because I never missed a period. And as I said on my first post, my period last month lasted for six days.

Additional info: I work out 2-3 hours twice a week, take contemporary dance classes 3-4 hours thrice a week and I've been sleeping for less than 7 hours these past few weeks because of school work. Finals week is approaching so I got a pile of things to do in order to accomplish my requirements on-time.

I know I'm too paranoid but I just want to make sure I'm not pregnant. Should I see a doctor at this point? All the googling just makes me feel more and more anxious [Frown]

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

How often have you been taking EC? If you are taking them frequently, that might explain why your cycles are so irregular. If that is the case, you may also want to look into finding more reliable methods of birth control, so you do not have to take EC so often.

It's not unusual for bleeding to start and stop and then take up again. So, I'd give this another couple of days.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

solidrock222
Neophyte
Member # 109576

Hmmm I took EC May 2013, December 2013, and last February 2014. Is that considered frequent?

As for the methods of birth control, I guess I'll just have to choose the abstinence method just because it's expense-free and worry-free. LOL

Anyway, I'll post again if ever I notice anything unusual.

Thank you so much Joey for taking time to answer all my inquiries and for tolerating my uber paranoid behavior [Smile]

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Nope, I'd not consider frequent. But the last time you took it was very recent, so it's really not surprising that your period is a bit wonky this time around.

I was just asking that because if you find yourself taking EC a lot, it would be smart for several reasons to look into hormonal birth control. EC, even when taken right away, is not as effective as hormonal birth control taken regularly. And to boot, it EC is much more expensive. So, if you'd like to talk about finding a method of birth control for you, we're happy to help.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.