Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » re: birth control and plan b

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: re: birth control and plan b
arva12
Neophyte
Member # 109850

Icon 4 posted      Profile for arva12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have been on ortho-tri cyclen for two years now. I started my period last week, took the placebo pills, and my period ended on Monday. As per my usual routine and the birth control instructions, I already started taking the active pills on Sunday, the day before. On Monday, my boyfriend of over a year and I were having sex. The condom broke, and he finished inside of me. Should I be worried - considering my period had just ended, I never miss any birth control pills, but occasionally I take a pill 1-2 hours late? Should I consider emergency contraception, just in case? i hadn't been taking active pills during my period, but had started an active pill the day before the incident, and took an active pill on Monday as well.
Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing Plan B can do that your pill is not only already doing, but does more effectively.

As well, birth control pills are effective even during the placebo week: so long as you take your pills properly during a cycle, and into the next, you have the same protection during the placebo week as during weeks when you are taking a daily active pill.

So, you already have a backup for condoms: your pill. The only thing to have to deal with, then, around this break is the increased STI risks.

We are also happy to troubleshoot condom use with you, if you like, to figure out why your condom broke and help prevent that from happening again. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arva12
Neophyte
Member # 109850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arva12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great! thank you so much. neither of us have STIs, I was just concerned because I know that although the risk of pregnancy with birth control is very low, there is still a risk. I'm glad to hear that EC is less effective than the pill - i was afraid of having to take it because i really didnt want all of those extra hormones in my body.
Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you really do want to always be very conservative with synthetic hormones, for sure.

If someone is not already using a hormonal or other highly-effective method, or is, but made mistakes with it, like missing pills, then using EC is sound.

But in a case like yours, there just isn't anything for it to do your pill is not already doing. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arva12
Neophyte
Member # 109850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arva12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.