Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Does sexual orientation changes by injecting hormones?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does sexual orientation changes by injecting hormones?
Pinkbluekaatt
Neophyte
Member # 77108

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pinkbluekaatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there.
It's been a long time since I'm not around here. And I'm quite sorry the reason I came back is because of more doubts...

Well, first of all, thank you. To all of you.
Thanks to you I have completely accepted my bisexuality. I took this scary journey to discover myself and this website was always there. I'm so happy about it. Sometimes my sexuality is very fluid, sometimes it is not, but I am truly happy saying that I do like females, that I have loved one and God, I am so freaking proud of it. Thank you.

And (sigh)... Taking back the main topic.

Well, when I first realized I liked females, I came here for information when I was exactly 18 years old. I thought it was a really late age to realize it, but somehow I felt like it had the right timing. Other way I wouldn't know about all these terms and I could have been confused with all of this.
Now, I'm close to be 21, and I'm completely sure I am not straight. I had a girlfriend (and that was one of the most gorgeous things that ever happened to me), and I still like males. I really wanna keep it that way.
But, there's something in my body that is not working well.

I have a problem with my thyroid gland and it's causing me quite a lot of problems. This gland is not working the way it should and I'm basically trapped in the body of a 14-year-old girl. And I'm not lying or exaggerating with it.
My breasts are really small (and I mean, REALLY small. I have to use sports tees because I can't "fill" any other blouses), I almost never have periods, and when I do, they can last up to 8 days, and, apparently, this is messing up my ovaries even more than what I expected, since recently we found out that I have cysts in both of them.
I'm not gonna lie, I am really worried about it.
My doctor says that, in order to make my system work properly and develop a feminine body, I must have several injections. Hormones and vitamins injections.

The thing is, I am really scared about it.
Is my sexuality gonna change after those injections? Am I gonna turn straight? Is my preference for girls gonna disappear? Because I developed this preference for females a while ago, but I still find the male body incredibly attractive.
And, the one that is bugging me the most: Since my gland is not working the way it should, is my sexuality a product of its deficiency? Is my orientation just a "side effect" of its malfunction?

I really really would love to get an answer, or just a bit of help, because I honestly love myself the way I am, and I can't imagine myself being completely straight. I know I turn my head to see a cute girl if I have the chance. I know I do the same with guys. I loved to have a girlfriend and kiss her soft lips, and I know I can love a nice guy too. But I have this fear of losing this part when I'm finally happy with it. When I finally love myself and I'm proud of being who I am. I just don't want to, and I'm so freaking scared of all of this.

I'm sorry if this is long (and a bit rude or desperate), but I don't know somewhere else to go. And you have always been so kind.

I really hope you're all doing fine.
Also, I apologize for any mistake you could find, since english is not my native language.
Thanks in advance.

--------------------
=^..^=

Posts: 7 | From: Mexico | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is not any study or data I am aware of which has linked orientation or changes in orientation to hormonal medications of any kind, no, nor to specific hormonal makeups. Sexual orientation is primarily psychological, not physical or hormonal.

But this is something you can certainly talk to your doctor about to help allay those concerns.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.