Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Waiting for Marriage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waiting for Marriage
stephylolz
Neophyte
Member # 109592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephylolz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I'm Stephanie and I am an 18 year old college student in Nor Cal. I recently dated a guy who told me that he was waiting till marriage to have sex. He was Christian and I didn't necessarily believe in the same thing as he did. We ended up breaking it off partly because of that and partly for other reasons, but I am still curious as to the benefits of waiting till marriage to have sex. I have looked all over the internet for studies that depict whether or not waiting for marriage really does give way to a healthier sex life when married, but all the ones that I have found are typically done by Christian universities (you see my dilemma). I have found it very hard to find any un-bias information on this topic. My Question is: is there any information out there that suggests that people who wait have healthier sex lives or is it another type of "it depends who you are" kind of deal? I appreciate your time and response. - Steph

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is that this is so, so very rare - people not engaging in partnered sexual activity, or even just intercourse alone, until they are married - both now, but also historically. The only places it is less rare are places where child or early adolescent marriage is common, and even then, one of the spouses in those situations is usually considerably older, usually sexually experienced, and the younger person was not intentionally waiting so much as they were so young when they got married, they did not yet have the opportunity to seek out or even yet want sexual partners before marriage ( and often do not want marriage or sex in that marriage either, mind, but are not given a real choice).

The closest broad data we have to what you were looking for is data that shows us that delaying sexual debut - a term to describe when people become sexual with partners - to the later teens, rather than earlier teens, does result in better outcomes per both physical and emotional health.

We also know from study that when people have the ability to choose only sexual interactions that feel right for them, whatever that means, people tend to be happier and healthier.

But on the whole, with the study we have on things like lifelong sexual health and satisfaction, people being married or not does not seem to play a big role, or often much of a role at all.

[ 03-02-2014, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephylolz
Neophyte
Member # 109592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephylolz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you I appreciate your response!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.