Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » condom concerned.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom concerned.
omg
Activist
Member # 109480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I had sex with my boyfriend with a condom on, but he started in for about a minute or two after ejaculation. When he pulled out the condom was still on and most of the semen were on the tip of the condom. Could the semen leaked out of he base because he stayed in for a few minutes after ejaculation?

--------------------
This a scary girl.

Posts: 43 | From: Newyork | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this counts as not having used a condom correctly, that decreases how effective the condom was. However, the reason you are not supposed to use a condom is way is because it increases the chances of it slipping off or breaking. Now, having not been present and looking at the condom, there is no way for us to tell whether or not the semen leaked (although it sounds like it had collected at the tip as it was supposed to) so we can't say for certain what the risk level is.

It sounds like you and, more specifically, your partner have had several issues in terms of using condoms correctly. Do you have a sense of why that might be?

[ 02-27-2014, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issue with people hanging around still inside the vagina after ejaculation per condoms is that doing so can make it more likely for the condom to slip off or break. But if that did not happen this time, it did not happen.

For future reference, though, sounds like you need to remind your partner that proper condom use involves withdrawing right after ejaculation. If after that, he still is erect and you both want him to still be inside your vagina, then he needs to out a new condom on to do that, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omg
Activist
Member # 109480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if the condom didn't break or slip, the condom did it job?

--------------------
This a scary girl.

Posts: 43 | From: Newyork | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omg
Activist
Member # 109480

Please answer me?

--------------------
This a scary girl.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If and when condoms are stored properly, then used properly -- including for all genital contact, not just some -- and do not slip off or break, yes, you can very safely presume they did their job when it comes to preventing pregnancy.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omg
Activist
Member # 109480

So I didn't have a condom failure from this incident I described above?

--------------------
This a scary girl.

omg
Activist
Member # 109480

So I guess since the condom didn't break or slip off, I am fine?

--------------------
This a scary girl.

Heather
Member # 3

A condom failing, in the context of pregnancy prevention, means someone using a condom became pregnant.

So, if you did not become pregnant while using a condom, then no, it did not fail.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

omg
Activist
Member # 109480

So from what I described above the condom did it job right?

--------------------
This a scary girl.

omg
Activist
Member # 109480

since the condom was still on after sex and it didn't break or slip off, I am fine, right?

--------------------
This a scary girl.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather has already answered that question from you in this thread, so we will not go over it again.

It sounds, from this thread and others, like using condoms by themselves is causing you some stress around sex. Have you considered maybe dialing down sexual activity to a level at which you would be more comfortable? Or have you considered using a back-up method in addition to condoms.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.