Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Help! trying to find lgbt areas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! trying to find lgbt areas
Iwanttobelongtothestars
Neophyte
Member # 109689

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Iwanttobelongtothestars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am struggling to cope with my sexuality, while I have come to terms with it but I feel like I have not been able to explore it. I have no lgbt friends or know anyone else who is in the community, my school doesn't provide any 'gsa' and I just want to make friends who I can talk about this with. What can I do to meet people?
Posts: 6 | From: northwest London | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Iwanttobelong,

To clarify, when you say you want to meet people, are thinking more in terms of finding friends and a supportive community, or looking for a romantic relationship to explore?

There are a few places to meet people, depending on the community you are living in right now. Some towns and cities will either have an LGBT center, or will have LGBT groups that meet every now and then to hang out. So, it might be worth it to do a little digging online (if you haven't already) and see what is nearby.

The other option is to get involved with online communities. While these may not guarantee in person friendships, they can often be great support networks and a way to make friends and explore ideas.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iwanttobelongtothestars
Neophyte
Member # 109689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iwanttobelongtothestars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking to make friends, while I have explored online and locally I can't find a safe, legitimate website I feel comfortable to use. I live in North West London, if thats of any use. Thanks for your advice.
Posts: 6 | From: northwest London | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha. Hmmm, I am not super familiar with UK/London specific resources, but I will check with the other volunteers who might be and see if we can come up with some organizations or sites that we know to be good, safe spaces.
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iwanttobelongtothestars
Neophyte
Member # 109689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iwanttobelongtothestars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your help, any sites will be greatly appreciated [Smile]
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

You're quite welcome [Smile]

We'll try to get them to you ASAP, but it might take a few days (depending on who is around).

Of the exploring you've done online, were there any sites that seemed more to your liking than others (even if you decided that they didn't quite feel safe enough after a closer look)?

Iwanttobelongtothestars
Neophyte
Member # 109689

I did try to get into contact with 'mosaic; an lgbt youth club but they meet face to face regularly which I don't want. My parents are very strict and don't allow me to go out very often. I also didn't feel unsafe to go meet people I don't know.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, are you just looking for a safe place online, only, to talk to other queer people?

If so, you are already here. [Smile] Around half of all our users, and a good deal of our staff, are LGBQ folks. but, of course, we can still drum you up some other options, too,

[ 02-27-2014, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iwanttobelongtothestars
Neophyte
Member # 109689

Thanks! I just Want to make close friends that I can talk to regularly [Smile]
Iwanttobelongtothestars
Neophyte
Member # 109689

Thanks! I just Want to make close friends that I can talk to regularly [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.